General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! 98 accord v6 bogs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Default HELP!!!! 98 accord v6 bogs

Hi all, I am lost and confused. I have a 98 accord v6 and it bogs intermittently. It happens after fill up, and randomly. While driving it'll just bog and when you give it more gas it does nothing. Then it launches, it doesn't happen all the time but sometimes its really bad. Things that i have replaced,

Engine,
Transmission,
Fuel Pump,
ECU,
egr valve,
ignition wires,
timing belt,
water pump,

It happen when i bought the car, could not figure it out so I thought by swapping out the motor and tranny would solve the issue. It did however stopped for and 8 months. Then it started again. Thought it was the ecu and swapped it, same issue. The car just started having idle issue as well. The rpm fluctuate a around 500 rpm and never goes above 1000 on idle. When the car bogs, i shift to neutral and rev it revs, then put back in drive and bogs. I'm out of ideas and any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Swapping out the motor is a drastic step to fix a problem.

Does the check engine light turn on when the car starts bogging? Stop by a parts store to have your codes scanned. Post any codes on here. They start with the letter P and have 4 number, like P1234.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 AM

It's mindboggling that you'd still be having the same issues after swapping out the motor and tranny.
Another thing to consider is the climate you live in. You don't have a location on your profile, but heat could cause your car to bog.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM

No cel comes on and yea your right about a drastic swap to try to cure a problem but i was told that its probably the tranny from a local honda dealership. The old motor had about 289 k and i got tge motor and tranny for 1100. When the tranny alone is 800. I just figure that if i did the motor and tranny at one time i wont have to worry about it. Im located in sacramento. It bogs day or night, hot or cold. Im just clueless at this point. Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Alright engine swap was a good idea with that many miles and at that price. If it were me I'd take it to a local shop for a free estimate and bring it back here.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Well this is interesting.

Nothing solid to go on but a few ideas. Theories....

We would have to guess it is not in the motor, trans or due to tune up items (?).

You say no CEL but did not confirm if there are any "stored" codes, not trying to split hairs.

So could this be in the delivery to the engine (fuel filter) or the management of the engine (O2's and then not sure what sensors came with the engine and what were re-used).

Old 09-21-2011, 12:11 AM

Oh a couple of things i forgot to mention, I also replaced the cat, o2. What really got me is that it is intermittently. I am really clueless. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 PM

help anyone!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

I hate for you to throw more parts at your car.

Can you get the car to act up by shaking the key while driving? I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch is flaky?

Disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables. Inspect the cables for any signs of damage. Check for any damage in the wiring from the alternator to the battery. I would have the battery and alternator tested at the parts store just to be sure the are not acting up.

Another thing to consider is finding and cleaning all of the grounds. You will need a shop manual to do this. I suggest getting one from automanualsource.com for $21.99. It is worth the investment.

Another item to consider is the main fuel relay.