General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord d4 light is blinkin and the car would go slow wen accelarating

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Default 94 accord d4 light is blinkin and the car would go slow wen accelarating

my cardidnt have any power, no crank at all, after messing with the battery terminals the car turned on but the d4 light was blinking and the car wouldntgo foward,i had to almost floor it, for it to go, when i got home i turned it off and started it up again and it worked good, i need motor mounts, wen i shift the car jerks and the motor moves, can that be the problem? is this a bad tranny?or is itsomething simple? thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 accord d4 light is blinkin and the car would go slow wen accelarating

The D4 light flashing means that the trans control unit (TCU) detetected a problem with the tranny and stored a code. If you follow the instructions on this link http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html Count the D4 flashes (NOT THE CEL LIGHT), we can tell you the likely source of the problem. A long blink = 10, short = 1, so L, S, S, S = 13.

Just post that code and we can help you.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Default RE: 94 accord d4 light is blinkin and the car would go slow wen accelarating

i dont have the cel light on, if the d4 light flashes is it something serious? is the tranny going out? or is it just something that can be fixed by somebody with mech skills?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:53 PM

ok it blinked more than 80 times and i couldt keep up with it.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Those instructions on the link are identical to the procdure to get the codes for the TCU except that you count the D4 light flashing.

Make sure that you had the connector shorted. It sounds like you didn't get it shorted and the D4 light just kept blinking. Just use a thin paperclip or wire.

In the DIY section, there is a link for ACC 5th Gen (94-97).... That is the main page from the link that I gave you. If you click on the automatic transaxle link, 14-48 of that pdf will give you similar instructions. The blinks should have a definite pattern and NOT just flash forever. The codes can only be 1 through 15.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 PM

a flashing D4 light can be caused by any component failure on the transmission, from a bad torque converter to a bad presure switch.

you need to get a wire or paper clip and pull out the blue 2 pin connector under the glove box. turn the key off, jump the two terminals with the wire or paper clip, turn the key on, then count the long and short D4 blinks.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM

well today i turned on the car and it turned on with no problems, i checked the tranny fluid and it was real low and needed some, you think that can be the reason why the d4 was blinking, and on d3 it was running slow.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

possibly, but i see it more likely that the lack of trans. fluid might have broken something, and THAT is causing the light to flash.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM

if broken something, wouldnt i hear a noise? i do hear like if air is getting compressed out under neath the car wen i put it on D3 is this normal?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:24 PM

take it in, have it checked out. we probably can't help you since you still haven't checked what code there is. ANYTHING can cause the D4 light to come on, whatever the code is, is what narrows down the diagnostic search. are you going to check the code or wait until something fails?

Quick Reply: 94 accord d4 light is blinkin and the car would go slow wen accelarating