General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Dx

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy 94 Accord Dx

Hey All. I purchased a 94 accord couples of months back. From he begging I've been having problems. After replacing the starter, alternator, battery the car ran great for awhile but I noticed when I drove as I pushed down the accl peddle almost to the floor the car t didn't take off it took a sec or so for to. Also when pushing the car going at least 80 I notice thick white smoke. After awhile when starting the car it would spit a large cloud of white smoke, then Rev up and down repedatively until the car got to proper temp. Then one day driving as I pushed on the pedal the car spat white some out and would seem like its going to stop then I'd apply small amount of pressure and it would still drive but anythingother than that it would spit and try to stop. Finally. I put a new aftermarkwt intake in it ran like the norm for two days then one day as I starter the car and died to reverse it would, but if I put it an anyother gear and tried driving it would but very slooooow...then slower....then to where it I have to push it. Tried starteing it one day and it was idiling then it dropes to zero and died after it would not start. After that I changed my timing belt, balabcer belt, water pump, camshaftseal, new acc belts, cleaned throttle body, new spark plug wires, replaced the gaskets under valve, gasket to stop oil getting in spam plugs too, when turning the key to number two on the ignition I hear the fuel pump come on, I tested for spark and I do. I can hear my car try to start its so close but it wont arty its driving me insane please help me! Its dead winter and I'm in Alaska so I can't keep my car off for too long. I am not that experienced learning as I go -trey

Last edited by PAhonda; 12-04-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

The white smoke is pointing towards a head gasket problem. Before attempting this job, drain the oil and see if it has coolant in it.

You want to avoid throwing parts at the problem. You need to diagnose the problem first.

How did you test for spark?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Dang headgasket, and I thought I was done,. How would i check to se if its my heqd gasket if my car dosnt start?
I drained it and there was no coolant in the oil but the oil was very dark, almost black. I changed it at least 2x.
I checked for spark by sticking a screwdriver in the plug wires and held it close to grnd, I did it for each one. I know not professional but I can check again if you know another way.

Last edited by Trey; 12-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I am also thinking headgasket, but the cold temperatures in Alaska could cause a misdiagnosis on that. Take off the oil cap and see if there is a milky substance on the inside.

Got a compression tester? That would help rule things out too.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright will do 1st thing tomorrow. Ya sucks my car dosnt have a block heater.
No I don't have a compression tester. I will try to get whole of one this weekend.
If someine can explain to me how could a headgasket cause this, I'm new to this. I don't understand.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So checked and no no milky stuff but my car has been sitting for awhile I pulled the oil dipstick and it was grey kinda looks like dirt???? Grey dirt of some sort..

Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Grey oil sounds like. antifreeze in the oil . But with your climate idk. I know all the Honda's I owned don't like cold weather.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post a picture of the damaged camshaft?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You know how an engine can get decompressed how do you get it to become compressed again? Ya I can will take a pic of of tomorrow, to cold to go outside right now :l

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trey
You know how an engine can get decompressed how do you get it to become compressed again? Ya I can will take a pic of of tomorrow, to cold to go outside right now :l
not sure what you mean by this. The head gasket stops the coolant from getting into the cylinders. It also seals the combustion chamber allowing the engine to make compression. If the gasket has failed then the cylinder doesnt make as much compression and can push or pull coolant into the cylinder and subsequently the oil pan.

A compression tester is how you test for cylinder compression. You can rent it from an auto parts store. It screws into the spark plug hole.