General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord ex a/t wipers wont stop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 AM
Default 94 accord ex a/t wipers wont stop.

My car was recently stolen and they popped my ignition. I fixed everything except the ignition switch which worked for a while until the other day when it locked up and I had to hotwire my car to get home from the groceries store. I might of accidentally fried something.

In any case, I fixed the ignition switch temporarily but now the wipers are on whenever the car is in II or on. The wiper switch is unresponsive on Intermittent, and off. Only high and low works. I ordered a new ignition switch which will be here on Monday but I doubt that will fix the problem.

I hear that parts inside the motor can go bad and not "park" the blades back into the original position and just keep going but a bad switch could possibly cause the same problems. I am at a lost and would like ANY help and suggestions before I order the parts.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Since you are replacing the ignition switch, you should already have the plastic piece removed around both sides of the steering column.

This problem could be due to how you the car hot wired. Giving power to the wrong wire could trick the relay into thinking that you turned on the wiper.

You can pull the fuse for the wipers to see if that stops the wipers from running. It is a 30 amp fuse (#6) in the box under the dash. Your owner's manual should have that information as well.

You could also unplug the wiper switch and see if the problem still occurs.

Once you replace the switch, you can figure out if a wire is getting power when it shouldn't. You would need a volt meter for that.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Since you are replacing the ignition switch, you should already have the plastic piece removed around both sides of the steering column.

This problem could be due to how you the car hot wired. Giving power to the wrong wire could trick the relay into thinking that you turned on the wiper.

You can pull the fuse for the wipers to see if that stops the wipers from running. It is a 30 amp fuse (#6) in the box under the dash. Your owner's manual should have that information as well.

You could also unplug the wiper switch and see if the problem still occurs.

Once you replace the switch, you can figure out if a wire is getting power when it shouldn't. You would need a volt meter for that.

The fuse is still good so I unplugged the 7 pin connector and I will test the connections after I get home with a multimeter, . I think the switch or relay is bad. I looked in the manual for the intermittent relay but it only had a photo of it and not the location. Perhaps I just missed it. Thanks for the help man

Old 10-19-2010, 05:47 PM

I checked the switch and it seems fine, I pulled the Integrated Control Unit(which has the intermittent wiper relay built in) and the wipers went back to normal. Did the test in the honda manual for the ICU and couldnt get continuity between A8 and ground. I most likely fried the ICU when trying to hot wire my car. Im heading to picknpull to see if I can find one locally. If not, I will have to buy one off ebay.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Are you testing on pin 8 of the ICU, or of the electrical connector to ground?

If it is pin 8 of the connector, then you have a wiring problem and need to look at G402 or G404. If you are testing pin 8 of the ICU with it unplugged, then you are testing it wrong.

I would test at the wiper relay which is not part of the ICU. See pic below for the location. Also, a wiring diagram is available in the 94 shop manual which you can download from the spooner link in the online manuals thread in the DIY section.

EDIT: That pic is too small. See page 23-7 in the shop manual.

Attached Thumbnails 94 accord ex a/t wipers wont stop.-relay.jpg  

Last edited by PAhonda; 10-19-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Are you testing on pin 8 of the ICU, or of the electrical connector to ground?

If it is pin 8 of the connector, then you have a wiring problem and need to look at G402 or G404. If you are testing pin 8 of the ICU with it unplugged, then you are testing it wrong.

I would test at the wiper relay which is not part of the ICU. See pic below for the location. Also, a wiring diagram is available in the 94 shop manual which you can download from the spooner link in the online manuals thread in the DIY section.

EDIT: That pic is too small. See page 23-7 in the shop manual.

Im testing from the connector. I picked a ICU for 20 bucks and it fixed the problem. I think I was doing the test wrong, in any case. Thanks for the help man. It helped me pin point my problems.

The weird thing now is the new ICU makes a different beep for the key in + door open. But I can live with that.