General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord F22B2 Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:29 PM
tankbusta
Unregistered
Question 94 Accord F22B2 Engine Issues

Hey everyone.. Hopefully you'll guys will be able to give me some input on this problem here.

I noticed my car getting noticeably hotter recently. I usually check my Radiator every 2 months just to check the levels and it's usually been pretty good until now. I checked it and it wasnt low but it definatly needed some more. I filled it up and a week later it's gone (or I couldn't see all of it but I looked down and just saw the block). The overflow was only about a quarter full. I put more in then I think I saw what may be a bit of Oil that somehow got into the Radiator. Something came up and the color went from bright green to a darker green pretty quickly.

I also have a problem with oil seeping into the spark plug chambers. All 4 seem to have some oil but cylinder 3 (third from the left) always has a lot. I've replaced the valve cover gasket several times and it seems to slow down that problem but it eventually comes back and im tired of changing that a ton.

What do you guys think? It does have 260k miles on it, still runs great, i've always been good on maintenance. I do use it a lot though, some days I'll put a lot of miles on it. Any of you guys from Michigan - I drive from Brighton to A2 to Flint a lot for work so it does get used quite a bit. I'm not really willing to spend much to fix it. It is starting to become a money pit.

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

There is a leak somewhere in your system.

If you are sure that there is oil in the radiator fluid, that would point to a blown head gasket. Do you see white smoke coming out of the exhaust?

For the oil in the spark plug tubes, do you change the upper seals (there are 4 of them)?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In regard to running hot, what does the radiator core look like on outside bottom? If you touch the fins and they soft, gooey and falling apart you radiator is no longer able to cool properly. You may want to pressure check the system also. There is a coolant line under the dist. that goes bad and can go unnoticed as it is hard to see. It goes to the water valve. I am in MI also and couldn’t find the adaptor for the pressure checker to fit my 95 Accord locally. Autozone had one to loan but it wasn’t the correct one. I found it online.