General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord fan question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Default 94 accord fan question

Ok guys got done of the issues resolved on the accord. After testing both fans they were good, changed fan switch and temperature coolant switch, new thermostat . But the issue now is the is the fan turns on after the temp gauge goes above halfway.... Oh yeah also changed fan control relay and the module behind the glove box... Any ideas???

Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a temp reader of some sorts (IFR or some voltmeters will read temps as well)?

I ask because it the car has over heated in the past it could be the gauge unit. Could be the sender.

The two sensors (thermo switches) have different settings, possible they got switched around?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Do you have a temp reader of some sorts (IFR or some voltmeters will read temps as well)?

I ask because it the car has over heated in the past it could be the gauge unit. Could be the sender.

The two sensors (thermo switches) have different settings, possible they got switched around?
I'll have to ask my dad if the voltmeters he has can do this

Old 04-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

If he does not - Harbor Freight runs them on sale for ~$25 or so. I've got both, they do differ a bit in readings but work.

Also, if you get one, remember you will be reading metal temp and not coolant temp. Not going to go into all of the science but know the metal temp reading will be slightly higher than the coolant. So a 210F temp reading on the metal is a bit higher than the coolant - IMHO.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
If he does not - Harbor Freight runs them on sale for ~$25 or so. I've got both, they do differ a bit in readings but work.

Also, if you get one, remember you will be reading metal temp and not coolant temp. Not going to go into all of the science but know the metal temp reading will be slightly higher than the coolant. So a 210F temp reading on the metal is a bit higher than the coolant - IMHO.
Thank you and he actually has one. and he realized it has two fan switches which only one was replaced so just bought that today as well

Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

The fan switch located on the thermostat housing has authority to switch both fans while the engine is running.

The fan switch located in the upper-radiator-hose nozzle (on the head) only has authority to switch one fan, AFTER the engine has been switched off.

The 2 sensors screwed directly into the side of the cylinder head (below the distributor) are not fan switches at all...

Old 04-26-2014, 08:01 AM

Those are called temperature "senders" that are bolted into the head right? They send direct signal to the gauge while the sensors send signal to the computer right? The sensors have now been changed but not the senders

Old 04-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

The two in the head, below the dist.

The "one" wire sender is for the temp gauge.

The "two" wire sender is for the ECU.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Strangest things keep on happening. New sensors and put the senders in it as well. Fan didn't come on at high temp, but I turned the car off and the fan came on, I turned the ignition on and the fan went off totally backwards. My dad thinks it's got some serious bad wiring all the fuses and relays have been changed out and fuses

Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 PM

im guessing you got the two fan switches backwards or youre using auto part stores sensors instead of using honda parts

Quick Reply: 94 accord fan question