General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord fan question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

The last one (sender for the gauge) is the one with only one wire, correct? If so, that one is ONLY for the dashboard gauge. That gauge, the ECU, and fan-circuits do not "share" information until about model-year 2005.

You mention the parts drawing shows 2 different sensors. The drawings are used over a few different model-years, and also LX/EX/DX etc. Along with the drawing, you need the parts list from whatever on-line place you were looking. That parts list will show either #16 or #17, but not both. Look at maybe 1995 Accord, it probably has the same picture but calls for the other part.

Last edited by JimBlake; 04-28-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The last one (sender for the gauge) is the one with only one wire, correct? If so, that one is ONLY for the dashboard gauge. That gauge, the ECU, and fan-circuits do not "share" information until about model-year 2005.

You mention the parts drawing shows 2 different sensors. The drawings are used over a few different model-years, and also LX/EX/DX etc. Along with the drawing, you need the parts list from whatever on-line place you were looking. That parts list will show either #16 or #17, but not both. Look at maybe 1995 Accord, it probably has the same picture but calls for the other part.
Cool I will do that because that drawing is confusing and didn't specify the one for my 94 EX

Old 04-29-2014, 11:00 AM

My EX uses the #17 sensor and that's what was installed. But I guess the sensors being made by standard ignition and not Honda factory sensors are playing a factor. But I was also made aware that since I've had an issue with the instrument cluster (i.e. speedo, doesn't work dash doesn't light up at night, check engine light doesn't like up) that the gauge maybe screwed up too.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Well, like I said, they don't share information. So if the dashboard gauge is messed up, maybe that sends you off on a wild-goose chase with all the other stuff? (while in reality everything is working properly)???

Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Well, like I said, they don't share information. So if the dashboard gauge is messed up, maybe that sends you off on a wild-goose chase with all the other stuff? (while in reality everything is working properly)???
Jim that's exactly what I'm starting to think, I want to go to a junkyard and pick up an instrument cluster for this thing and see what happens but in that another problem arises. It's hard find the cluster that goes with the M/T EX they I own.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
I ask because if the car has over heated in the past it could be the gauge unit
Originally Posted by poorman212
What temp readings are you getting from the "end of the head" vs the base of the thermo switch on the t-stat housing.
Again - if the gauge was ever pegged for any length of time, yes the gauge could be bad or give false reading. One of the warnings in the shop manual for testing the gauge says NOT to ground the single wire to the gauge unit for very long as it will damge the gauge unit.

One reason to verify a few temp readings using "another method" - IFR or a volt meter that can read temps.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Also, don't need the whole gauge unit. You can get just the temp gauge out of one of these (auto or manual - something in the back of my mind says there is a slight difference in the NS vs Nipon?)

Old 04-30-2014, 07:10 PM

The sending unit, because of its close proximity to the combustion chamber, could get hot much faster than the fan switch if you have a leaking head gasket that is shooting combustion gases into the cooling system.

This is just a thought. You might want to compression test just to be sure.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Well update guys after all the issues with this car the catalytic coverter is stopping up... I already heard how much I'm going to have to shell out for that