General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling fan/condensor fan question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Equalizer
Unregistered
Default Cooling fan/condensor fan question

I bought a used 94' Accord EX 4cyl a few weeks ago and have since worked out most of the little issues that were wrong with it but I've noticed that whoever owned it before wired the passanger fan directly to the driver's side fan. That fans work and come on when they are supposed to but I'm wondering if I will have any issues b/c of them being directly wired together?It's winter here right now so I don't know how it will bewhen summer comes and I turn on the A/C,should I rewire them to the way they were originaly from the factory or can I just leave them wired together? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Cooling fan/condensor fan question

This may have been done to avoid the engine-off cooling fan mode which causes the radiator or pax-side fan to run for ~15min if engine coolant temp is > 223F. By wiring radiator fan directly to the condensor or driver's side fan, this mode would be avoided. The reason for the engine-off cooling is to reduce cylinder head temps after shutdown of a hot engine, and reduce possibility of cylinder head gasket failure. I would restore the wiring to original arrangement.

good luck

Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

They should both turn on at the same time, in either case; A/C running or engine coolant temp warmed up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/58E58233BDC14A8AB9C9FCD1ED068BF8.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Equalizer
Unregistered

Thanks guys!! Hondadude, are you sayingto just leave it?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

since both fans work right now,, that means that the fan motors are ok,,
there might be an issue with a fuse, relay, wiring or sensor to make a fan not work ...you can leave it as is,, but the problem with that is ,, that if something happen to the sytem of the fan that is supplying power . both fans will NOT WORK ..

if you want to repair it,, disconnect the wiring and troubleshoot the system that is not working ..
Dude provided the electrical schematic, start at the top by checking the fuses first and work your way down DO NOT skip any steps

the passenger side fan is the main radiator cooling fan the 1 on the driver side is the condensor fan

Old 02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Equalizer
Thanks guys!! Hondadude, are you sayingto just leave it?
Depends? You can see that someone has placed jumper wires between the fans, or you just have a concern because they both run at the same time?
As I stated before they are bothsupposed to run.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Equalizer
Unregistered

Yip, the wiring to the radiator cooling fan has been cutand they spliced in jumper wires fromthe cooling fan motorover to the condenser fan motor. I wasn't too impressed when I seen they had done this but I figured I'd betterask justto make sure this wasn't some sort of "miracle cure" for a common problem.
I'm going tocheck the wiring[starting at the fuse box and work my way towards the cooling fan as DesertHonda suggested] and see what I can find.
Thanks again guys, very much appreciated!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

chk the easy things first, fuse, relay ,, lok at the schematic that Dude posted up, it will give you a good idea .
again go from top to bottom to trace the power source

Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Equalizer
Unregistered

Excellent! Thankyou!!