General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

condensor and cooling fan not coming on. 2000 v6 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default condensor and cooling fan not coming on. 2000 v6 Accord

My brother has a 2000 v6 accord coupe and the car seems to be fine ,just recently replaced the throttle body because the tps went bad and it is riveted on there so it was just easier. Anyway, he noticed the car was fine on the highway or even stopped at a light for a short period of time but sitting for a little bit he noticed the a/c wasn’t getting very cold. Later that day he noticed the temp started to rise. I checked it out and neither fans were coming on.

I checked the fuses under the hood for both fans and there were fuses for the relays on the driver side fuse box. Fuses are all good. could it be a coincidence that both relays went bad at the same exact time? is it possible to be the coolant temp sensor? The check engine light is on and my sister-in-law is going to swing it by autozone to pull the code. hopefully that identifies it but any suggestions would help.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile

Same thing happened to me about the heating in a red light but when i drove it cooled down. At the end it was the motor for the fans, the fans where not working at all. They sell the motor separately and installation is pretty easy. Make sure to take care of it soon or it will bring more trouble to your car has it overheats, gaskets could go wrong, ect.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

hey gilo, were both fans not working with the a/c on and off? the compressor still kicks in and the a/c gets cold when driving but stopped it overheats and no cold a/c. btw, not driving it until i can figure it out.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Check the fuses under the hood also. The fuse for the condensor fan should be there and a couple other relays.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The radiator fan should turn on and off to keep the temp in place, but the ac fan should turn on when the ac is turned on. Like he said, sometimes it is the stupidiest thing like a fuse. But im pretty sure is one of the fans expecially when u stop and it heats, when u drive air flows thru the radiator and keeps it cool but when u stop it heats thats is when the fan starts working. If it is the fans dont buy the whole thing just buy the motor unless the fan itself is broken. For me the motor was like $50 in Advance Auto Parts. Anyways Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i have actually already checked and under the hood there are fuses for both fans. on the driver side interior fuse panel there are relay fuses. all are good. i tried the relays out of my car and it still didnt work. the only strange thing to me is the condensor fan and cooling fan stopped working at the same time.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

For 2000 (actually for most recent years) the Accord fans come on together. If the coolant temperature is high, BOTH fans will run. When AC is switched on, BOTH fans will run when the compressor clutch engages.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if issue happened after throttle body was replaced ,, i would suspect that something was left unplugged .. or damaged ,,,

Old 09-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

does the coolant temp sensor control both fans? would that cause the fans not to work when the a/c is turned on?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Fan switch (temperature "sensor") and AC run the fan from 2 different ways. A bad fan switch should not prevent the AC from running the fans.

Quick Reply: condensor and cooling fan not coming on. 2000 v6 Accord