General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord, which fan is the AC fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Default 93 Accord, which fan is the AC fan

I have a 93 Accord 4 cyl, 10th Anniv Ed.
There are 2 fans behind the radiator.
Looking from driver's seat, which fan is the one for the AC.
The right fan I take it is for the AC, and does not run when AC is turned on, where as when the engine gets hot, the temp switch kicks in and both fans turn.
Assuming that the RH side fan is the AC fan, why does it not turn when AC is on.
I have temporarily rigged it with an external switch to manually turn the RH fan when ever I turn the AC on.
I don't like this arrangement and would like to fix it.
Can any one please shed some lght.
Thanks in advance.
ramachan9
1993 Accord 10th anniv, 146K miles.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

The driver's side is the a/c condenser fan. The passenger fan is the radiator fan. Both fans should turn on when the a/c is running.

Remove your switch, so the system is back to the stock setup. Start car and turn on a/c. You should have 12V across the pins going to the radiator fan. If not, check that black wire has ground (continuity test from black pin to any good ground - I use the engine block).

Next step would be to test the radiator fan relay in engine bay fuse box.

Setup is 1 2
3 4
Only one pin on the box will have continuity to non-ground wire (blu/blk wire on my 95) at the radiator fan. That will be pin 1. Pin 3 should be the same size as pin 1. 3 and 4 should have 12V when the a/c is on. Pin 2 should have ground.

Hope it isn't too confusing. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-11-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up Hey Member

Hello PAHonda...Great answer and directions, you get better with every passing day with your answers, we thank You for Your help in here...

WheelBrokerAng
click the pic

Attached Thumbnails 93 Accord, which fan is the AC fan-clevelandairshowonthelake.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 PM

Thanks PAHonda for your quick response.
I stand corrected that the driver's side fan is the condenser fan, my assumption being wrong.
Like I said before, both fans come on when ever the engine temp switch kicks in. Also some times on a hot day after killing the engine, both fans will come on. That being the case, am I correct that the ground connection to both fans should be good.
When the AC switch is on, neither fans turn. So could it be that the relay is not supplying the power (12V) when ever the AC is on. I am assuming that the relay is a dual relay ( I mean two relay contactors in one housing) with one being driven by the engine temp switch and the other by the AC. If that is the case, may be one of the two relays has gone bad. I am sorry if I am theorizing too much here. Is there a place where I can access the schematic for this part of the functionality.
I am sure going to follow your instructions to check the relay out as suggested by you. In tha Dallas area the temperatures are in the 100+ last couple of days and is expected to be so for another week. So I don't plan on messing with it until after the hot days.
I will sure post you what ever I find.
Thanks.
ramachan9

Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 PM

I did some search on the web for cooling fan relays and it appears that there are 2 relays. One of them called the Radiator cooling fan motor relay and the other called the A/C condenser fan Motor relay. Since both fans come on when the engine coolant gets hot, i take it that the radiator cooling fan relay is OK, and may be the A/C condenser fan motor relay has gone bad. Is it true that there are 2 relays. I looked at a schematic for a 94 accord and it shows 2 relays. Also Autozone calls out 2 relay part numbers one for each. Are both these relays in the engine compartment fuse box. Checking the relay is an easy matter.