General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord LX no spark Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
iniguy
Unregistered
Default 94 Accord LX no spark Help Please!

I really need some help...

I have a 94 Accord LX 2.2 engine and auto.

Car started fine cold and then stalled out and will not start.

It cranks over fine and battery voltage is good.

I checked all fuses inside under dash and also under the hood all are good.

I checked for spark at the plugs and had nothing. NOT FIRING

I checked for spark at the coil and had nothing there either.

I checked for power to the coil and the voltage is good

I replaced the distributor cap/rotor and confirmed the rotor is turning when the engine cranks....STILL NOTHING

Then I replaced the complete distributor assembly including all the electronics and the coil and still have no spark.

Just to make sure I also checked the timing belt and all is in good order.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

did the new distributor come with a new ignition control module?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
iniguy
Unregistered

Originally Posted by PAhonda
did the new distributor come with a new ignition control module?
Yes the distributor had all components.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Did you verify no spark after you installed the new components? Describe how are you testing for no spark?

My first thought would be to make sure that you installed the new distributor properly and not 180 degrees off. Turn the crankshaft until the car is at top dead center. Make sure that the distributor rotor is pointing to cylinder 1. This would generate a spark, but in the wrong order, so the car wouldn't start.

Make sure that the wires going to the ignition control module are in the correct order. Download 94 shop manual from online manuals link in the DIY section for schematics for the f22b2 engine.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description you should have spark unless you purchased a bad component; coil or distributor.

Try checking for spark on coil lead and spark plug leads w/ a timing light. If no flashing, then no spark.

Suggest reconfirming 12V on Blk/Yel wire at distributor. Also check that your ground lead from the distributor is grounded on the thermostat housing.

good luck

Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
iniguy
Unregistered

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Did you verify no spark after you installed the new components? Describe how are you testing for no spark?

My first thought would be to make sure that you installed the new distributor properly and not 180 degrees off. Turn the crankshaft until the car is at top dead center. Make sure that the distributor rotor is pointing to cylinder 1. This would generate a spark, but in the wrong order, so the car wouldn't start.

Make sure that the wires going to the ignition control module are in the correct order. Download 94 shop manual from online manuals link in the DIY section for schematics for the f22b2 engine.
Used a spark plug attached to plug wire. Grounded the plug to motor and cranked it over no spark. Definately not 180 out. I am also using a shop manual.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
iniguy
Unregistered

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
From your description you should have spark unless you purchased a bad component; coil or distributor.

Try checking for spark on coil lead and spark plug leads w/ a timing light. If no flashing, then no spark.

Suggest reconfirming 12V on Blk/Yel wire at distributor. Also check that your ground lead from the distributor is grounded on the thermostat housing.

good luck
Will do I have an inductive timing light and will also check the ground.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2009, 06:38 PM
iniguy
Unregistered

Originally Posted by iniguy
Will do I have an inductive timing light and will also check the ground.

Thanks
Okay all I checked for spark with a timing light and still have nothing.

The other strange thing, is since this occurred the D4 shift indicator is flashing steadily when ever the ignition switch is on. Is this some type of code or warning?

Thanks

Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

D4 light means there is a transmission control unit (TCU) code stored. Short service check connector and read flashing D4 light to get code.

If you confirmed that distributor has 12V on the Blk/Yel wire w/ keyswitch ON, this means a bad ignitor or coil.

good luck

Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM
iniguy
Unregistered

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
D4 light means there is a transmission control unit (TCU) code stored. Short service check connector and read flashing D4 light to get code.

If you confirmed that distributor has 12V on the Blk/Yel wire w/ keyswitch ON, this means a bad ignitor or coil.

good luck
See my first post. I replaced the entire distributor assembly and coil. Still no spark. I also replaced the main relay and still nothing.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 94 Accord LX no spark Help Please!