General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Default 94 accord starts and dies

Hey hey
I picked up a 94 accord last week and the car had been running great until this morning
I woke up to snow bleh
I fire up the car and start clearing snow off the car, the car runs for about a minute to a minute and a half and stalls while I was clearing it
I fire up the car again and it idles for about 30 seconds and dies
I tried a few more times car would idle but stall if I hit the gas

I thought it might have to do with the cold so I just let the car sit for a few hours while all the snow melted

I come back and now the car will fire up for a split second and die
car stalls out while I'm holding the key to III(3)

I've been googling and searching around, I've found a few similar problems but nothing identical so I thought I would post before I went and started sinking cash into stuff

Edit:
I went back tried starting the car again, the car will run while I'm holding the key to III but if I hit the gas it stalls out instantly

Last edited by Naka69; 02-29-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Kind of sounds like an ignition switch issue.

Key to on/pos II, check the voltage on the BLK/YEL wire going into the dist.

One other, when you turn the key to on/pos II, watch the CEL. Does is come on (listen for the fuel pump to prime) and then go off after ~3 seconds.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Didn't know if I should edit or post new ^^

anyway there is no CEL error at all
I had a friend come over take a look before I touched anything his first thought was alternator

my car is parked on a slight incline so we thought maybe the gas is to low so we rolled the car backwards to flat ground and as soon as we tried to fire the car up the battery died?
we are charging the battery right now before we try anything again

as for checking the voltage I'm not sure how to do that I'm brand new to working on cars
so how do I go about that?

Edit:
Just fired up the car after charging the battery for a bit
car started up ran for about 10-15 seconds then died again

Last edited by Naka69; 02-29-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM

check the spark plugs, wires, dizzy cap and button. i have a 96 civic do the same thing minus the snow.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Naka69
as for checking the voltage I'm not sure how to do that I'm brand new to working on cars
so how do I go about that?

Edit:
Just fired up the car after charging the battery for a bit
car started up ran for about 10-15 seconds then died again
Do you have a test light of volt meter? If not and you are going to do some work on cars, you will want to get one. I've seen simple volt meters for less than $10, it will be fine for a starter tool.

When the car dies, leave the key in the on/pos II. Near the dist is a connector (8 pin I think?), one of those wires will be Black with a Yellow stripe. Using a volt meter, what voltage do you get, using a test light does it light up (the wire should have 12v, so the other end of the test light will need to be connected to a "ground" source like the valve cover or something).

Old 02-16-2022, 02:55 PM

If anyone in the future has this issue I had this happen on my 1994 Accord Wagon June of 2020. It did that start, die, start, sputter, die. I didn't like the sound of the fuel pump (sounded weak). Figure I'd eliminate fuel possibility. I Went to the junkyard and pulled another main relay and ordered a TYC 152014A fuel pump off rock auto. After putting them in it fixed the issue entirely. Later my ignition switch had issues so that got switched out as well. Take a listen to the fuel pump and if it doesn't sound like a loud wiper pump when you turn the ignition on you may need a new one. I am aware this is an old post but it's good info.

Last edited by Foxi D'elegance; 02-16-2022 at 02:59 PM.