General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Honda Accord - Strange Problem

Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Default 1995 Honda Accord - Strange Problem

Hello, I am having some problems with my car and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

First, I let the car sit for about 6 months because of a problem I'll discuss later. I disconnected the battery during this and when I went to hook the battery back up the flashers started blinking and all the lights inside the car's dash and radio panel started blinking. I turn the key and nothing happens but a click and hiss sound under the hood.

Any idea what happened ?

Second, the reason it was sitting for 6 months was because it would randomly shut off while driving. Sometimes you'd have to stop and let the car sit for awhile (usually 5-15 minutes), other times you could start it back up while you were coasting. I took it to a Honda dealership and they weren't able to find anything wrong with it. I've got a multimeter that I plan to check a big checklist of stuff with but can't do that with problem one! haha Any tips for what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, any tips or recommended steps to do, I would very much appreciate.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Do you have any add ons? like a alarm sys. that could be the blinking also shuting off coul be a bad ing. sw. or a bad PGM FI main relay but you got to get it started first start with a known good battery and go from thair

Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM

I did get it started. I let it blink for awhile and it just quit, then turned they key and it started right up. Shut if off again and started again no problem. Not sure what it was but it seems to be working just fine now.

I let it run for 5 minutes and when I turned the radio and dome light on the car shut off. Tired to start back up after it shut off and the engine just cranked but it didn't start. I let it set for 2 minutes and then it started back up. Not sure if this is the same issue as when it shuts off when driving. I tested the charge on the alternator with a multimeter and it shows to be charging at 14.30 Volts so that looks ok.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

I would stop by a parts store and have the battery and alternator tested.

When the car will not start, you need to determine if the problem is lack of spark or lack of fuel. Do you have access to a timing light? That will make testing for spark easier.

Do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you first turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car? The pump makes a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat for about two seconds when the check engine light does the bulb check.

Can you get the car to stall out when it is running by shaking the key?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM

His problem is fixed doubt he will be back to do anything more. "if it aint broke dont fix it" has ruined many many cars by not fixing stuff that should be.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Tyler Joyce
His problem is fixed doubt he will be back to do anything more. "if it aint broke dont fix it" has ruined many many cars by not fixing stuff that should be.
Tyler,

That is a spammer.

You can spot them easily.

See the recent join date, low post count, answering questions that are old, and always including a link to a website selling something?

When you see that click the little (!) at the top of their posts and report it as a possible spammer.

I will report this one right now.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Ahh I see. Obvious link to a website to get us to buy stuff from them. Didnt even really look twice at that.