General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 accord strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Default 97 accord strange problem

I have a 97 accord LX, the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensors were tripped about a month or so. We took it in to get looked at and the mechanics(who my family has gone to for years and we trust), thought that the sensors were going in the distributor so they ordered a new one.(they also reset the error codes which haven't come up again)
I continued driving for another two weeks and then it randomly shut off on me. I couldn't start it back up(only the starter was turning), but if i waited a minute or so I could get it to start, mind you sometimes it idles at 1000 and other times 500rpm. So we took it back to the mechanic who now had the distributor and he tried out the new one, with no luck, still had the same start issues and idles.
He finally said to take it to Honda dealership and get it looked at, I have an appointment soon, but just wondering if anyone has heard of this.
BTW: the CYP sensor tripped a after the other two codes were wiped, the mechanic figures the problem is with the crank sensor and cam sensor being out of alignment.
Thanks

Old 11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Raul
Unregistered
Default Ignition problem?

I just bought a 97 Accord 3 days ago, so I am no expert. But...

I spoke to Honda America customer service on an unrelated issue; he took the initiative to inform me that there was a recall on my car: a possible connection problem in the ignition may cause the car to unexpectedly shut off. Perhaps this relates to your problem; if your dealer is on the ball, I would think they would consider the recall.

Good luck.
Raul

Old 11-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Sorry honda looked at it and confirmed that it was the ECU/ECM so I will have to get a new one, or try and look fro a used one. If anyone knows where you can get such a part that'd be appreciated since it seems used ones are hard to come by, although ebay does have some a reputable source would be nice.
thanks