General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Starts Runs 1 sec. and dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:23 PM
bumbalough
Unregistered
Default 94 Accord Starts Runs 1 sec. and dies

My accord started acting up a few months ago, it would start-die-then would start fine. one day it wouldn't start back up, it was after a rain. about 2 hours later it started. its been doing this for a couple of months, and i didnt know what it was. it seems to do it after it rained. now it starts for 1 sec and dies every time. Im waiting on a volt meter, but it dosent have any codes, and i hear the relay clicking, and i hear the fuel pump? any ideas what it might be . i looked through the threads but didnt see anything that matched this 100%. Also the key is worn out and read about possible ignition problems on here. Anyone

Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 94 Accord Starts Runs 1 sec. and dies

Hello and welcome to HAF!!!! Please do a few things to make your visits here a bit less hassled. First, put the year, trim, # of doors and type of transmission in your signature from the profile page. This way you just check the box when making posts and we all know what car we are talking about. Next, post an intro in the new member area ..... we all want to know who you are, a bit about you, what you drive (pictures are good here).

Next, your problems .... The key on your keyring is not the ignition switch problem. I'm not saying that the switch is ruled out yet, but the locking mechanism and the electronic switch are separate entities and an old key isn't going to affect the switch unless you can't turn the car on due to the lock cylinder. It sounds like your main fuel relay is starting to break. On the last page of the DIY section are directions on how to fix this. Please read this and while you are there, the DIY section has many good writeups to flip through. Good luck!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM

start the car up,then while still holding on to the key , back it off slightly from the starting position,( just so starter does not stay engaged) if car still runs , you got a bad electrical portion of the ignition switch..

Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM

You might find something useful here:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_75687/tm.htm

Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Short story: My dad owned a 85 Honda Accord for 16-17 years. Throughout it's lifetime it used 3 different ignition switches. The problem was he had to many keys and he drove for more than an hour everyday.

Haven't heard of newer accords with this issue but it's simple to test. Try taking your ignition key off of your keyring and only using that key in the ignition. If it still does it then the above idea is not your problem. If it stops then it looks like your ignition switch is the problem.

(PS: You can replace just the internal switch and not have to mess with changing keys)

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 PM

since you said it happened mainly after a rain, now it's pretty consistant, i'd start with checking the ign. system components.

get the car started.

get a spray bottle of water or a cup of water and wet down the distributor, coil(if external), distributor cap then the wires systematically. when the engine stumbles, dies or acts up as you wet a part of the ign. system you found the problem.

most likely your dist. cap, rotors, wires and plugs a worn.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 PM
bumbalough
Unregistered

tried the key thing and that isnt it, tested the main relay and that was good, now changing the fuel filter and having trouble with the bottom nut. When i drove it , it would never shut off driving down the road, even in the rain. as of a few days ago it will just start for a sec and then die, never stays running for any amount of time. cant get it started to try the water bottle

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 PM

chk to see if you get fuel pressure before you waste your time and money replacing the fuel filter.....if you get fuel , than it is not a fuel filter issue,, which in itself is very rare that it would be totally plugged

chk for spark ,,

Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 AM
bumbalough
Unregistered

not the fuel filter, going to recheck main relay and ignition switch tomorrow

Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM

and spray down the ign. system with water?

Quick Reply: 94 Accord Starts Runs 1 sec. and dies