General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 EX coupe will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 EX coupe will not turn over

i drove the car yesterday and last night with no issues and this mornig went out and turned the key, nothing. the electronics work but it will not turn over. this sucks..... dont even know where to start. help

Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Do you hear one click from the starter when you turn the key to the start position?

Do you have a volt meter?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No there is no click from the starter. i do not have a voltmeter. i did notice when i was replacing the brake booster that on the clutch pedal there is some kind of switch... it looks like there was something on the pedal that was supposed to push it in but now nothing there. it just sticks through a whole in the pedal. could this be an/the issue if the switch went bad?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Could be, but it's in the wrong direction. There's an interlock to prevent the starter from operating, unless the clutch pedal is pressed down. With that little button missing from the pedal, the switch "thinks" the pedal is always pressed down. (That also cancels the cruise control.)

Still, check out the switch anyway.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well there was two switches.. one that is "open" when you press the clutch, and one above it that pushes in when you depress the clutch. i stole a grommet from my truck that wasnt touching anything and used it on my honda. presto it turns over now. however, I turn it over now and it fired for a second then died. tried it a second time and it fired, then sounded like crap for a sec then died while pumping white smoke from the INTAKE. WTF?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 PM

white smoke from the intake? can you explain more?
did you mean exhaust?
im smelling hydrolock

Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It was definitely from the intake. But I cleaned the intake and throttle body then tried again, no more smoke and running again.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well newest update. car ran again for one day. this morning nothing but turning over.... turns and turns and doesnt start... it tried to start twice but then died.. i can smell excessive amounts of fuel and as i said it fired up twice. but now nothing again.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Are the maintenance items up to date like spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor? I would inspect them for signs of wear.

Use the NGK spark plugs recommended for your car. They are the NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs that you can get at any parts store for around $2 each. Take a look at the contacts inside the distributor cap and the edge of the rotor.

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light does the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It is a faint buzzing/whirling noise that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc and listen carefully.

I would also check for engine codes. In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to checking engine codes that will help you out. Post any codes you find on here.

Do you have access to a timing light?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i do have a timing light but ive never used one. im kinda new to real mechanics.. i can replace whats needed when i know what it is but have never really gotten into diagnostics and using specialty tools. i can hear the fuel pump cycle and the engine light has been on for like ever now.

Quick Reply: 94 EX coupe will not turn over