General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 ex oxygen sensor no power at connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Default 94 ex oxygen sensor no power at connector

I had this in a shop, and they replaced the sensor and when this didn't clear the code P0141

They checked the voltage and said there wasn't any power to the sensor, can I direct wire past this connector or how do I check this connection and or replace the fuse? I have been doing some web searches but haven't gotten any information on these locations.

Just need to clear the code to pass emissions (plus gas mileage is said to improve with this working)

Old 11-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

The 94 accord did not come with a secondary O2 sensor. The 96 accord was the first year with the secondary O2 sensor.

What year is your accord? Was there an engine swap in the vehicle?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 AM

It is a 94. they checked the connection after replacing the sensor, and found there was not the 12 volts at the connector from the computer. they recommended replacing the computer but I have seen some threads in other posts and online that moisture and fuses could be causing this condition as well. also frayed wires or other possible things have been suggested.

The engine appears to be original, I cannot verify but got this used so I cannot verify.

My main question is can I just bypass the connector or get another "end" from an adaptor and splice it in?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Most likely this is not a 94, but a 96 or 97 to get an obd2 code. It seems unlikely someone would completely retrofit a 94 accord to operate w/ OBD2 computer. Decode the VIN to find out.

Once you know the year/model, suggest getting a wiring diagram and fault tracing the obd2 connector wires (PGM to connector) to find out if wiring fault or PCM fault. It could be as simple as a faulty obd2 connector pin.

good luck

Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Default clarification

The vin number on the door jamb says it is a 94.

The shop used a high tech paper clip to read the flashes and came up with oxygen sensor fault code for lack of a better terminology. After they replaced the sensor, they put a volt meter on the lead from the computer and determined there was no power running to the connector.

They then recommended that I replace the computer since it wasn't sending the 12-volts to "warm" the sensor.

There is a new O2 sensor with the wire harness connected but apparently no power to it. My question still is if I can splice the wires around the connector basically hardwiring it to the computer, or if there is a relay which may be bad or a fuse in the block which could be bad. It doesn't appear the engine was changed (and wires snapped by not disconnecting)

I am simply asking how to back trace this wiring to the computer or other items which may be shot.

Hope this helps. I just need to clear this code...Otherwise I cannot pass emissions.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Since the car is a 94 (OBD-I), it would not show an OBD-II trouble code. P0141 is for the secondary O2 sensor, which a 94 would not have either. The code they gave you is bogus.

If they used a paper clip to retrieve the trouble code, that was via the blue service check connector. It probably blinked a trouble code 41 if it was related to the heater circuit.

Something isn't exactly correct with what they told you regarding the heater, and I am not just talking about the OBD-II trouble code.

The ECM (car's computer) provides the ground (-) to the heater circuit of the O2 sensor. The main relay provides the power/voltage (+) to the heater circuit. Why would the ECM need to be replaced if the heater side of the O2 sensor did not get voltage (+)? I could understand if it wasn't getting the ground source from the ECM.

I've attached a partial circuit diagram image with a few notes I added.

Attached Thumbnails 94 ex oxygen sensor no power at connector-heated-o2-sensor.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

So the obd2 code P0141 did not come from your car. That makes sense as P0141 is for a secondary O2 sensor heater fault. You don't have a secondary O2 sensor (behind cataltyic converter) in a 94 EX.

The Obd1 code for primary O2 sensor can be code 41 (O2 sensor heater fault) or code 43 (fault in O2 sensor circuit or fuel supply problem). Which code was presented?

The O2 sensor heater gets power from the Main Fuel Relay (yel/blk wire) and damage to wires (supply or return), MFR, fuse, or ECM fault could interupt power to heater circuit and set code 41. Procedure is to first check heater circuit at O2 sensor connector for correct resistance (10-40 ohms), if OK check wiring/connectors for correct heater resistance from ECM harness side connector, if again OK, an ECM fault is indicated.

Code 43 is different and a more elaborate diagnostic procedure is required. Suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord FSM (see Online Manuals post in DIY forum) to use the diagnostic tree provided.

good luck