General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Honda Accord LX D4 Light Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM
richmin
Unregistered
Default 94 Honda Accord LX D4 Light Blinking

2 days after I bought a used 1994 Honda Accord LX (4DR, automatic, 4cyl), the speedometer started acting up (I bought the car in Nov 2008). It would not work for the first 10-15 mins. 2 months after this, the D4 light on my dashboard starting blinking. At first intermittently but now constantly. The first time it did this, I was really low on gas so i put gas in the car & the blinking stopped. 2 days later, the blinking started again. I don't think that there is a problem with the transmission as the car is driving beautifully and there are no shifting issues that i know of. Anybody any ideas on what's going on? Is my car still safe to drive?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

The D4 light blinking means the transmission computer is detecting a problem. Find out the problem by getting the DTC code.

To check the codes follow the instructions on this site:

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Use a thin paperclip to short the connector. Count the D4 light to get the Tranny code(s). Count the Check Engine Light to get the Engine Codes.

Post the codes on here and we can better direct you to the problem.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 PM
sicivic22
Unregistered
Default D4 BLINKING and other problems

Yea i got a problem like that too....... except ive had my 94 accord for about 6 years now....... and i got an 06si but i strtd to use my accord again for work. my speedometer dosnt work, after a couple mins of driving the d4 blinking light starts blinking and jst keeps blinking and then after acouple of more minutes driving the check engine light then comes on...... dnt know wut to do......

Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

sicvic22, you should do the test that I referenced above. It will take about 5 minutes and is very simple. Once you have the codes, start a new thread. I will bet that you Vehicle Speed Sensor is the culprit though.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Default Codes for D4 and CEL

I performed the tests and my D4 code blinks 1, then blinks 8 continuous blinks. Then repeats. I also get on the CEL code 1 long blink, then 2 continuous blinks. Then repeats. I need to know what the D4 code means and if the CEL code of 12 has any relation to it. Please let me know, my inspection is coming up soon.

Stener75

Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Code 12 is for the EGR system.

For the D4/TCU, you probably have two codes. Code 8 (shift solenoid B). The other code is either a code 1 or a code 10. Is the first blink a long blink or short?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Default D4 Blinks Instead of Check Engine Light

I have a Honda Accord EX 1995. I did what PA Honda said:
"To check the codes follow the instructions on this site:
The check engine light doesn't blink, but the D4 light blinks instead. It just blinks once briefly. Then there's a long pause and it repeats. Does this mean it's the OBD1 Code 1? Or is it a completely different code?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My D4 light started blinking after I removed the fuel pump relay. It needed a little soldering work, so I took it out to fix it. While it was out the D4 blinked.

Idk... Does the car start? If not, maybe it's a problem with the main relay.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

If it is a short blink, then it is a transmission code 1. A problem with the shift solenoid A.

The online manuals thread in the diy will have links to a 94 shop manual. That manual will have the diagnostic procedures on how to test that solenoid.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:58 AM

I have a '94 Accord LX Auto as well. When I purchased a few years ago, the D4 was intermittantly blinking. I think the code was for the Shift Solenoid B saying it wouldn't go into 4th gear lock(?). I bought a new solenoid from Honda (p/n 28300-px4-014), but when I got the old one out and cleaned all the contacts and put it back in, the D4 has remained off for the last couple of years... If it turns out to be that, I know where you can get one at a discount...

Quick Reply: 94 Honda Accord LX D4 Light Blinking