General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Honda Accord LX - D4 light off - no 1st - must be manually returned to 2nd at stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Default 94 Honda Accord LX - D4 light off - no 1st - must be manually returned to 2nd at stop

My Honda has several issues which have started today.
Cannot shift out of park without manual release
no 1st gear
will not downshift automatically at stoplight
d4 light is not burned out, but is off
Tachometer turns on and off several times (almost in a pattern, it has a timing to it)
The radio does the same. on off on off on off
My Passport 9500ix radar detector powers off on it's own when plugged in to the 12v power source when these issues are happening and it acually talks to me and indicates an issue but I cant understand what it says. "power off (something) or unplug power..then it cuts out" cant remember
The brake light indicator has come on once or twice, but it has turned off. I have checked the brake lights, they do work.
Car has lost power once or twice while driving, Gauges and radio turned off but only for an instant, then car drove fine.
I've seen other posts online about these exact issues but could not find any for sure real answers. Any help and I would be very grateful. If you can identify the issue I'd probably be willing to even PP you a small token of my appreciation. Thank you
I'm hoping that this thread can lock down what it is and that anyone in the future having this issue will get it solved here. I've had no luck anywhere else.

Last edited by djaaronj; 06-19-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Start the car, then shake the key. Does the car stall out or do you have the quick power loss?

Also, disconnect the battery, and clean all ends of both battery cables with a wire brush or some sand paper. The reconnect.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tried shaking the key and moving it in all directions, also moving the steering column up and down, turn signals, lights on and off (which i noticed the issue with sudden power loss happened one time when i turned them on but never again, i chalked it up as pure chance)
It did not trigger any issues.

battery unhooked for 45 min. put it back on - no changes however i was not experiencing any power issues with the tach or radio today as of yet