General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 LX A/C overcharged? or condensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 LX A/C overcharged? or condensor?

My hubby and I charged the A/C. Took 2 bottles and took forever to get the product in.

Now, the A/C is still not blowing cold air...

And, every 20 seconds, or so, there is an INCREDIBLY LOUD "WHOOSH!!!" sounds expelling from the location of the condensor.

Did we overcharge the system?

Or did we break the condensor?

(Im hoping this is the correct section, since the DIY requests state that THAT is the correct thread to post questions....but EVERYONES posts are being moved here???? Very VERY confusing!)

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by skimom33
My hubby and I charged the A/C. Took 2 bottles and took forever to get the product in.

Now, the A/C is still not blowing cold air...

And, every 20 seconds, or so, there is an INCREDIBLY LOUD "WHOOSH!!!" sounds expelling from the location of the condensor.

Did we overcharge the system?

Or did we break the condensor?

(Im hoping this is the correct section, since the DIY requests state that THAT is the correct thread to post questions....but EVERYONES posts are being moved here???? Very VERY confusing!)
This is my exact problem I am having right now. It used to do it a lot now it does it every once in a while while I am driving. I think its overcharged.
Hopefully more people come in and answer because I have yet to figure this out.

Also.. When the a/c is on are your rpms low as well?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

YUP!!! RPMs are definitely low! Its like the car is DRAAAGGGIIINNNNGGGGG trying to keep up with the condensor.

When we were using the can/pressure gauge, it looked like we were in line with the ambient temperature (90F) and it read at the top of the green range.

At least I know Im not the ONLY one!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by skimom33
YUP!!! RPMs are definitely low! Its like the car is DRAAAGGGIIINNNNGGGGG trying to keep up with the condensor.

When we were using the can/pressure gauge, it looked like we were in line with the ambient temperature (90F) and it read at the top of the green range.

At least I know Im not the ONLY one!
Ya my car has trouble accelerating when the a/c is on. It does blow cold though. Mine was overcharged pretty bad(according to the guy who checked it). And he released some of the pressure and it seemed to help. Im still trying to figure out the whole rpm thing.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can't charge correctly simply by attaching a can of refrigerant and opening the valve. You need an ac manifold set and measure both high and low side pressures under correct conditiions; 1500-2000 rpm, recirculate, max fan, car in shade, and doors closed.

Suggest some professional help unless you want to buy a set of gauges ($50 or so from Harbor Freight). The "whoosh" is likely the compressor relief valve opening to relieve excess pressure (> 400 psi).

There are a lot of good videos on youtube about how to correctly charge AC system. check ericthecarguy, briansmoble1, richpin06a, etc. autoacforum.com is a good site for diy help w/ ac problems.

The bottles of refrigerant are a temptation to the innocent and cause more trouble than help. Occasionally they work when problem is just right, but frequently don't.

good luck

Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, Looks like we really screwed up that deal! Time to go to a pro to have it done properly!

Thank you so much for the referral to the videos... Thank you Thank you!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

The forum descriptions are confusing. We have been trying to get them changed, but it is not so simple.

A/C work isn't terribly difficult, but you need the right tools to test the system pressures. And also for charging the system.