General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord Brake Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Default 95 Accord Brake Fluid Question

I just bought my 95 Honda Accord EX automatic a week ago. Took the car to my mechanic to have them check it out. Had a few issues, but they told me the brakes were fine. Today, one week later, I notice the brake light coming on as I am riding - stays on steady. Stopped well, no pedal to the floor, but the light was on. I had hoped it was because I had used the emergency brake and maybe the light just stuck, but I checked my fluid and noticed it was down to the minimum, so it's leaking.

Now, when I went to check fluid I did notice my brake fluid cap had not been put back tightly - it was loose all week - so I am hoping that is what happened. It was on but not tightly. But my fear is that it is a leak at the calipers or master cylinder.

In the worse case scenario, how much am I looking at in terms of a repair? Does it make sense a good mechanic would miss this? Would not the wheels be wet if it were at the calipers? Would not a leak be noticed when checking the fluid reservoir?

I love this car, but I don't wamt to be into a big repair (although if that is the case, I guess I will have to be). I am taking it in Monday, but I feel would be better off with your collective expertise before I show up.

By the way, I topped it off with DOT 3 and no light has come on yet. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome, your first post

Do you actually know that the brake fluid level has dropped, or was it initially at the minimum level (min level is OK).
Lowish level, loose cap => the shop was going to fill it, but guy got sidetracked.

Originally Posted by Eggbert
I am taking it in Monday, but I feel would be better off with your collective expertise before I show up.

By the way, I topped it off with DOT 3 and no light has come on yet.
So, why are you taking it in now? Twice in one week? Drive it some more,
check brake fluid weekly. Save $. Remember, the shop gave the brakes an OK.
So it's time for: "Sorry, can't make it in afterall, let me call again to reschedule."

At some point you'll be advised to have most/all fluids changed; at least that's what I do.
All fluids flushed/changed at a shop is $$, so take a bit of time to find one that you like for the money.
That's when you should have the brakes flushed too, to get 100% new fluid in the system.

$.02

Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

You may have a leak. Try to feel around the metal lines for fluid. You will need to locate the leak.

I would get a bottle of DOT3 brake fluid and fill it up to the full mark. Then driver around and check the fluid level periodically.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 AM

fill the master cylinder, pump the brakes and look for a puddle, no need to drive it.
get under the car safely and look at the wheels for signs of a leak, it will be obvious.
if you see no leaks remove the master cyl mounting nuts and gently pull the master out of the booster, if you see fluid, replace the master.
having a loose cap can cause a large spillage
as for a large repair bill its all part of the deal of owning a car regardless of make. your brakes are the most important system on your car. the cost wont kill you.
the best car on the road with bad brakes is the biggest piece of junk on the road, a hunk-o-junk car with great brakes will trump your bad brakes any day.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
So, why are you taking it in now? Twice in one week? Drive it some more,
check brake fluid weekly. Save $. Remember, the shop gave the brakes an OK.
So it's time for: "Sorry, can't make it in afterall, let me call again to reschedule."
Taking it back to the shop that said everything was alright. I paid them to check it out and if they are wrong I think the least they can do is look into it a little more and see if it is a leak or if this was a freak thing due to a lose cap. Second day and no brake light.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Is it wet with brake fluid, around the reservoir? If it came over the top, it should be wet with fluid. Maybe the guy at the shop tested the brakes, but never checked the fluid level (it could happen). Some people will let the level get a little low, knowing installing new pads will force some fluid back into the reservoir. The mechanic said the car was fine, that day, which it was. That doesn't mean you get a warranty on the whole car. If the shop does any repairs, sure those should come with a warranty for so many days. But if all he did was check your brakes, there is no warranty on something like that. It could be fine one day, and go out the next, and that's not his fault.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
Is it wet with brake fluid, around the reservoir? If it came over the top, it should be wet with fluid. Maybe the guy at the shop tested the brakes, but never checked the fluid level (it could happen). Some people will let the level get a little low, knowing installing new pads will force some fluid back into the reservoir. The mechanic said the car was fine, that day, which it was. That doesn't mean you get a warranty on the whole car. If the shop does any repairs, sure those should come with a warranty for so many days. But if all he did was check your brakes, there is no warranty on something like that. It could be fine one day, and go out the next, and that's not his fault.
Yeah, I like this shop, they are honest guys, but they charged me for an evaluation of it and it was not cheap and they specifically noted "frnt and rear brakes good." They took over an hour with the car in total, which is not a lot of time in the great scheme of things, but they did find stuff - other little stuff - wrong, including a mild oil leak. I just think they should now look, without charge, closer at the system and tell me what's going on. I assume it is going to be the reservoir as it seems they would have noticed leaks from any calipers when they pulled the wheels off (which they did).