General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Accord EX won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Default 95 Accord EX won't start

I have this problem at times only. I turn the key to start the car and the starter won't crank. Battery power is ok. I have an alarm with kill switch but I have completely unpluged the brain to eliminate this from beign the posibility. I have removed and jumped the safety neutral switch and still no start. I had some one try to start it while I had the volt meter on the starter solenoid signal wire and I was getting 12v signal but still nothing happened. I use a jumper wire from the positive battery to the starter signal and the car starts right a way. I have a 3 month old starter and I alredy put new battery ground and power cables. Any sugestions will be much apreciated!!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 95 Accord EX won't start

That's really strange when you get 12v at the signal wire but it still won't start. Maybe that wire is broken up inside it's own insulation so it only completes the circuit when you flex it around to reach it with the voltmeter? How about the plug on the end of that wire being loose or corroded?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I'll put my money on bad starter contacts; when you jumpered off the battery there was just a little more power to the contactor coil.
The contacts are easy to replace and a lot less $$ than a new starter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/6088E49B90784507B13356F4D24A2DB4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 AM

I'm also puzzled about this! but maybe I get the 12v reading but not the amparage to crank the starter? Only when I jump it from the battery I get the amperage.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM

I purchased a new starter 3 months ago thinking the original was bad! I had a friend of mine car mech. take it apart (original starter) and he said it was ok, we bench tested it several times and it cranked, bendix pulled out and turned everytime. The new one does the same. At this time I think my problem comes from the inside, the switch, wireing, or could it be an ignition/starter relay? maybe week or bad contacts. Is there one in the system? Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

On the 95 sedan 4cyl auto; the starter 'signal' goes from the ignition switch, thru the saftey switch at the shifter and straight out to the starter solenoid.
The V-6 has a relay in the circuit

Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the info. When you say "saftey switch at the shifter" where is this located at? is this somewere on the tranny? I will how ever check the signal from the ignition swich to make sure is giving it everytime, althoug i just notice that the car won't start after is been running and is hot.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you are getting 12 volts at the black/white wire at starter solenoid, then the neutral position switch is ok ...
you are getting 12 volts at the black/white wire at solenoid right ?? starter mounting bolts tight ??

if you have power at the big black/yellow wire ( from battery to starter) and 12 volts at black/white wire when trying to start the car and the starter does not engage , you got starter problems ..

Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM

This is why I don't understand why? 1. I got good power from the battery to the starter big black/yellow cable good connection and tight. 2. I have the safety neutral switch with a jumper on it. 3. good ground and the starter bolts are tight. At times (not always) when I turn the ignition key to start the car nothing happens, no crank at all,all lights that normaly come on the dash do! but nothing. If I leave the key turned on and go and jump from battery to starter solenoid terminal, the car starts right away. I did it to me yesterday aftert I drove the car from work to the house 10 miles. After I shut it off it would not start again!but if I jump solenoid it will.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when car does not start, are you getting battery voltage at starter solenoid wire ?? ( black/white) ..You need to chk that,,if you are .. it is a bad starter..
if you do not then we need to diagnose ,, could be a poor connection or bad wiring .

. let us know

Quick Reply: 95 Accord EX won't start