General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 95 Accord Idle Issue

Ok, a little background..Just put a japan imported F22 in my accord about 3 to 4 weeks ago...Yesterday as I was driving I noticed 2 things:

1)When Im coming to a stop and put my car in neutral (5-speed manual) the RPM's will climb to about 3000 and sit there for a second and then the RPM's will drop to the point where the car just about dies then goes up to normal.

2)I notice when im cruising on at a steady speed (yesterday it was at 35mph) the car will start jerking forward until i either slow down or speed up. (Did it this morning too while on the freeway cruising at 65mph)

**The ICV that sits on the back of the throttlebody i have removed and cleaned out. (btw, this is the same ICV that was on my old motor as the mechanic said it looked better)
**I will also mention that I have no intake pipe on it as im trying to find someone to cut my old pipe down so it doesnt go down my front tire anymore. (the reason for replacing the motor as it hydrolocked) Its not a daily driver, mostly use it to pick my kids up, but ive probably put maybe 150 miles on it since i got it back without any problems..I know i need the pipe..

So what if any are the possible things to check?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would look for a large vacuum leak confusing the idle control; PCV leak, brake booster, FITV, etc.

good luck

Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Any diagram showing where these things are?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

At top of this forum is this sticky: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/

You can download the service manual to see all the location of the parts.

For the air intake to the throttle body, is there anything attached to it right now and is a filter being used?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, i attached a pipe and filter to it...Thanks for the DIY info...seems now though when I come to a stop the car just dies. I can restart it and the idle will literally be between 1 and 5 and just hover there..But heres something i checked this morning

Inside the TB are the 2 holes for the FITV and IACV. I read after the car warms up there shouldnt really be any type of suction from the FITV hole (bottom hole in TB). Well mine was sucking like a fat girl sucking on a McDonalds shake after warm up, does this mean the FITV is not working correctly and would this be causing my idle problems? Also the IACV had hardly any suction after warm up, is that correct? It had the same suction as the FITV until it warmed up.

Just removed the FITV and i was able to turn the white plunger thing at least 2 times around before i tightened it..removed the battery cable for a few minutes, gonna reattach it and see if that fixed it...Now I notice though that the FITV hole inside the TB has hardly any suction after warm up and the IACV has alot of suction...Is this the correct functionality?

Ok, the idle doesnt climb up anymore when I take it out of gear, but when I come to a stop its still dropping to just about zero (0) and it almost shuts off,,,plus its still surging at 35mph just doesnt seem to be jerking as hard as before..What else could I try?

Also, ive had the car just sitting here idling for the last 10 minutes and it seems fine, but i rev the gas a bit and when the rpm's come down they go almost (0), the car bogs a bit and it goes back to normal.

Last edited by Mario Locatelli; 10-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Suggest removing IACV and cleaning screen, IACV movement, inlet/outlet ports and throttle plate (backside primarily) w/ throttle body cleaner. Blocked IACV will prevent IACV passing enough air around throttle plate for stable idle.

Two bolts on backside of throttel body release IACV. I cleaned in place w/o removing the coolant lines attached to IACV. If you pinch them closed w/ vise grips, you can separate IACV from engine for better cleaning access.

good luck

Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Suggest removing IACV and cleaning screen, IACV movement, inlet/outlet ports and throttle plate (backside primarily) w/ throttle body cleaner. Blocked IACV will prevent IACV passing enough air around throttle plate for stable idle.

Two bolts on backside of throttel body release IACV. I cleaned in place w/o removing the coolant lines attached to IACV. If you pinch them closed w/ vise grips, you can separate IACV from engine for better cleaning access.

good luck

Texas,,thanks
I did what you said maybe 2 months ago..Is it possible it needs it again?
I will do it again.
And about the surging, i was checking some older threads and it seems it could be caused by the EGR. Would this seem possible too seeing as this is one of those motors from japan with less than 50k on them?
Thanks much

Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Any chance do u think it could be the TPS?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Low idle speed indicates lack of air flow. About only thing that affect air flow at idle is the IACV (assuming no leaks elsewhere). If low idle, it could be one of passages is blocked, movement stuck. Since you don't have a IACV electrical fault code, blockage seems to be likely.

TPS faults are rare, but might cause idle problems.

If manually cracking the throttle plate at idle increases idle speed, this would indicate lack of air flow as problem.

good luck

Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, just cleaned out the IAC and FITV, but still having the same problems. Idle will increase when I take it out of gear and it still surges at 35mph..

Side note** I did notice on the FITV that when i had tightened it down that no air was passing thru it. I had read on a previous post about cleaning the fitv that when the valve is at room temp and the plunger is snug'd down that you would blow thru the hole where you can see the spring and air was supposed to come out of the plunger, but mine was sealed tight, no air coming thru...Could this be a problem?

**UPDATE**

Heres what i notice..As im in neutral and slowing down the idle is slowly climbing. Once the car comes to a complete stop the idle will drop.
Also, after doing the cleaning im now having coolant shoot out thru the reserve reservoir when i come to a stop..

Last edited by Mario Locatelli; 10-10-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 Accord Idle Issue