General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Default 95 accord intermittent starting problem

Problem #2 with my accord. I have an intermittent starting problem. I can go a week or more with no problem and then it won't start. No sound just won't turn starter.Then after turning key lots of times it will start. (manual trans) I checked the ground, it's good. I replaced the starter. Didn't solve the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn the key to start the car, the battery power goes through the electrical part of the ignition switch, through the clutch switch, and to the starter. That is for the small blk/wht wire going to the starter.

The positive cable from the battery supplies the power to turn the starter motor.

I would probably try to verify that you are getting 12V to the small blk/wht wire going to the starter. Since this is intermittent, I would wire a 12V test light on the post for the blk/wht wire and secure it with the eyelet and bolt. I would run the wire to under the windshield and tape that light to where you can see it. Ground the other end of the test light to any bare metal bolt. There is one bolt on the drivers side of the engine next to the valve cover.

Then you can look at the light to see if you have 12V when it is starting properly and verify that you are not getting 12V to the starter when it is not starting.