General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Honda Accord Intermittent Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Default 94 Honda Accord Intermittent Starting Problem

1994 Honda Accord, idles rough, but it has an intermittent problem of not starting. Most of the time you turn the key and it starts right up but once in a while, you turn the key and it makes a different cranking sound and wont start. If you turn the key off and try again, it might start right up and other times, it may take 5 to 7 tries but finally starts. But you know when it makes that sound, you may as well turn the key off and try again. I thought it may have been the starter /solenoid so replaced it but still does it. Thinking maybe the ignitor or main relay? Any ideas?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

What is the difference in sound when the car isn't starting? Is the starter spinning the engine much slower?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Default 94 Honda Accord Intermittent Starting Problem

Its hard to say about the cranking sound. Normally it starts so fast you never really hear it crank so its possible that might be the normal cranking sound if you disconnected the coil or ignitor or coil wire but I still don't think it is, but in any case, the starter is turning and that I along with several mechanics thought it could be the starter, so I replaced it a week ago but than again it did it again the other night? Right now I am leaning towards the main relay and than the ignitor or coil but I have changed the complete distributor several years ago because of this as I recall but it still does it. So far its been more annoying and never left me stranded, so I haven't done much about it but it seems to do it more lately.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM

here is a thread i made on a similar problem, where it turned out to be my ecm

initially it was for a sound but goes further into troubleshooting the problem you have

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...tart-up-40036/

Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Diagnosis for every no-start problem should first investigate whether spark or fuel is missing. Very occasionally, engine compression may be missing but this is rare.

Fuel.
Listen carefully w/ everything off when you turn keyswitch to ON. You should hear a couple of clicks from under the dash (Main Fuel Relay) and a buzz from the fuel pump in the tank for 2-3 secs and cut off. Check Engine Light should go off same time as fuel pump. If no sound, the fuel pressure is not present and no start is assured.

Spark
Easiest test is to borrow or buy and inductive timing light. Hook to battery and one spark plug lead. Turn engine over while activating timing light. No flash means no spark.

Once you know whether spark or fuel is missing, you can solve the cause relatively easily.

good luck

Old 12-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by junkmaneast
1994 Honda Accord, idles rough, but it has an intermittent problem of not starting. Most of the time you turn the key and it starts right up but once in a while, you turn the key and it makes a different cranking sound and wont start. If you turn the key off and try again, it might start right up and other times, it may take 5 to 7 tries but finally starts. But you know when it makes that sound, you may as well turn the key off and try again. I thought it may have been the starter /solenoid so replaced it but still does it. Thinking maybe the ignitor or main relay? Any ideas?
Update, I see now that I must have remove the distributor to see that wire. If I just start it and go it does okay but then when I rev the engine up then it dies. I am checking continuity and power to that wire now.