General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord LX stalls and engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Default 95 Accord LX stalls and engine light

My 95 LX stalls and the engine light comes on when I reach 45-50 mph. When I shut it off it turns back on immediately with no problems. I just bought this car not too long ago so I don't know much about Honda's. I know how to find the CEL code just haven't done so yet. The light disappears after ****ting off and turning back on so I'm rather confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

The code(s) are saved, so check the codes and post them on here. The code(s) will likely indicate a component that is activated at high rpm.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Okay so I finally pulled the codes. CEL Code is 15. What does this mean for me?

Also my SRS light shows code 51 before resetting it and now that I reset the SRS light it blinks continuously when pulling the codes. I'm rather confused about this...

Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Engine Code 15 is ignition output signal and means the ECM is not seeing an ignition signal from the ignitor in the distributor. Replacing the ignitor is usual fix, but could be wiring or electrical problem. See following link for help.

Honda Acura Starting Problems Repair Guide, Main Relay Locations

SRS Code 51 is internal failure of SRS unit. No diagnostics offered. Suggest looking for a used unit on ebay or car-part.com.

Download the 94-97 Accord manual from Online Manuals post in DiY forum for procedure to install SRS unit. Don't try this w/o a procedure. Airbags could potentially go off.

good luck

Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 AM

So from what I have figured so far is I will have to replace the ICM/ICU whatever you call it. Any suggestions on a brand that is reliable and cheap?

Is there anyway to tell if my SRS unit is still under Warrenty? I read a few places that the units for this model year are under a lifetime Warrenty and possibly a recall as well. How and where do I find this out?

Thanks again

Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Ignitor is < $35-$70, but I don't have any brands to suggest. Many folks simply replace the entire distributor because cost is not that much more, $50-$100. Check ebay for lowest cost options.

good luck

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM

So I've bought a whole new distributor system. Where can I find info on how to replace it without going to a garage? My dad is good with mechanical stuff and has worked on his cars his whole life just never on a Honda.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 AM

Check DIY forum and youtube for videos. It's straightforward job.

Only difficult part is engaging the distributor key into the camshaft end correctly. If you observe the direction of the rotor on the old distributor and insure the new distributor rotor points in same direction, you'll get it right.

Exchange old wires for new one at a time to insure correct order. Download a shop manual from DIY forum, Online Manuals post to get the correct plug order on the distributor.

good luck

Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Okay finally replaced distributor. Now I have CEL code 9 and CEL remains on while driving. Now what?

Quick Reply: 95 Accord LX stalls and engine light