General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord LX starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Default 95 Accord LX starting issue

I have a 95 Accord LX 5sp. 4cyl. that has a starting issue. When you go to start it and turn the key to on position, the check engine light comes on and the engine will not start until the light goes out, sometimes that can take 10 to 15 minutes. While waiting on light to go out, the engine will crank but won't start. You know when it is ready to go out because just before the light goes out there is a "click" under the dash, by the steering column, and then about 3 to 4 seconds later there is another click and the light goes out and the engine will start. The1st click sounds like a relay or something,and then the second click sounds like another relay being activated by the first, I don't know. Does this sound like a common problem or has anyone ever heard of this? HELP!! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank You

Old 11-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I would test the inputs and outputs of the main relay to see if those are in spec. I'll assume there is no "prime" of the fuel pump as soon as you turn the key to on/pos II?

Old 11-17-2015, 03:06 PM

Check it for codes. Then we can go from there.

Do u have an aftermarket security system? Take it off.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you have to wait for Check Engine Light (CEL) to go off, the Main Fuel Relay is likely culprit. It is difficult to access, so you want to be sure before replacing.

As PM said, listen carefully for fuel pump to prime when keyswitch iis first turned to On. Pump should run for 2-3 secs and go off. CEL should go off at same time. If CEL is staying On and you don't hear the fuel pump run, Main Fuel Relay )MFR) fault is likely. Given difficulty to access, I would replace w/ a new MFR.

Some have had good luck w/ removing the inner portion of MFR from outer shell attached to bracket. Don't remove bracket as it's near impossible to reattach (guess how I know this!).

There are two plastic latches at each end of MFR (inside the shell) that need to be released (pry w/ small screwdriver) to pull the inner portion out w/ the wiring harness attached. Once inner portion is removed, it will be easy to remove wiring harness connector from inner portion of MFR.

good luck