General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 accord must keep turning ignition key to stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 AM
coronny
Unregistered
Default 95 accord must keep turning ignition key to stay running

Hello HAF members,
I have a problem with my wife's 95' accord ex. ON her way to work today she turned on the wipers and the car began to hesitate so she pulled over to keep it running, which she did. Upon doing so she noticed the D4 light flashing whichit kept on doing.Shortly afterwards she needed the wipers again and this time the car stalled outright. The car would turn over but not start. I had it towed home, and tried to start itafter work, but it did the same thing. I noticed that when the key was in the second position(just before turning it over) that none of the accessories were working and the shifter was locked(even after pushing the brake). I found out that if I turn the key and hold it just before engaging the starter then all the accessories come on and I can release the shifter.IfI hold the key all the way while turning the car over it will run, but as soon as I release the key the car stalls. I amassuming the wiper thing is just coincidence, but can anybody shed some light on the need to hold the key to keep it running or the dead spot between inserting the key in the ignition and holding it just before the starter engages to get acc. power? Is this a fuse/electrical problem or maybein the ignition switch itself? I am humbly awaiting any help that can be offered.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 95 accord must keep turning ignition key to stay running

First off Welcome to HAF......
Now about your dilemma........You need the electrical portion of the ignition switch..call the dealer , they usually have those in stock,, DO NOT get the complete switch make sure to JUST ask for the electrical portion ,, it comes separate .. 60-70 dollars

Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 AM
coronny
Unregistered

Thanks for the quick reply! Is this a common problem or am I just lucky? Also, any idea if this is easy to fix? Thanks again, the info is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:08 AM

very common problem after car gets to be a few years old,,
, you need to remove the steering wheel covers, mmm on the 95 i believe you cannot remove the bolts for the electrical portion unless you remove the complete ignition switch assembly .

Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Is this the type of problem that's sometimes caused or aggrivated by a heavy keychain with lots of keys? (Just a thought for the future...)

Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm not certain if this exact issue is caused/aggrivated by heavy keychains but I do know that they can mess up the igntion over time.... Although, getting my wife to use less keychains is harder than replacing the igntion switch every 5-10 years.... *L*

Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
coronny
Unregistered

In speaking with a few people I also heard that the "load of keys" hanging off of the key ring is probably the cause. If so, would replacing just the electrical portion of the ignition switch solve the problem or should the whole mechanism be replaced? Any thoughts....has anybody been successful with just the electrical part? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 PM

I have replaced dozen upon dozen of just the electrical portion ,, do not replace the whole assembly unless you got issues with turning the key ,, too much money and than you got to use 2 different keys ,,1 for switch, 1 for the doors ,unless you get the new switch rekeyed to fit the old key ,, then you can use just 1 key
But if you only have the dying issue just replace the electrical part of the switch

Old 03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
coronny
Unregistered

Many thanks once again. I'm off to buy the part tonite and hopefully install it tomorrow. I will keep you posted with the results.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Go download a manual for a little extra help if you need it.... they're free

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Quick Reply: 95 accord must keep turning ignition key to stay running