General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Question 95 Accord need some help

Ok everyone I am new to the forum.. I have done much online and forum searching but to no avail.. I have a 95 Accord 2.7 it's a stock car auto trans and here is my issue. I was driving to work (about 40 miles away) about 35 miles into my drive slowing down car shut down suddenly put it in neutral it started and I took off. Got to work it stalled again.. ever since then when engine is warmed up to operating temperature it will not always idle sometimes it will idle fine as long as I don't slam the throttle closed. When it is cold ( living in Maine it has been less than 30 degrees) it starts very hard most of the time. I will give you a run down. Last week on Monday went out to start the car it started easily idled at about 500 - 600 rpm till it built heat then came up to normal idle, till I took off then it was warm and would misfire above 2500 rpm shut the car off restarted and it wouldn't idle but I had power.... Tuesday car sat overnight went to start and would not stay running at all had to give 1/4 throttle to get it to catch and slowly let off throttle it was misfiring like crazy till it built a little heat and stalled restarted and car idled ok till it came up to operating temperature.... this is what I have done to it... new plugs wires cap and rotor about 3 months ago.. I am getting fuel pressure to spec cold hot and running... checked ignition switch all ok... swapped iac and distributor for known good parts.... cleaned throttle body assembly... sorry for the crazy long post I just wanted to be detailed. Any help is appreciated

Old 02-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked for any engine codes?

Do you have a scanner that can read fuel trims?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:18 PM

Yes I checked codes I had some for iac because I unplugged it to see if it would help with starting. I also had some for the distributor and I swapped with the known good part and no codes have returned

Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Can your code reader/scanner read long and short term fuel trims?

Old 02-02-2016, 07:29 PM

No I have been pulling codes by jumping the pins but I do know that once it is warm anything above 1200 rpm the car runs perfect but when it is cold it could just be the misfire but it is very rich

Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Even though 1996 is the first year OBD-2 was required, I'm sure the 1995 Accord V-6 (only the V-6) was OBD-2. You should be able to go to a parts store and have them read the error codes in OBD-2 form.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:28 PM

I got the codes in obd1 form and now I have no codes. There is no obd2 plug on this vehicle

Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

The obd2 plug is behind the ash tray.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:02 PM

I did find it and there are still no codes

Old 02-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Just read your first post again. You said it idles around 500-600 when cold. Idle should be high (~1000 rpm) when cold, then lower to 700-750 when the engine warms up.

The tachometer gauge on the 94-97 accords starts at 0 then the next mark is 500 (there is no 250 rpm mark). Make sure you are reading the gauge properly.

When you cleaned the throttle body, did you clean both sides of the throttle plate. Also check that the air filter is not clogged.

One other component is the FITV that is bolted under the throttle body. It has two coolant lines going to it. Make sure those lines are not clogged up and coolant can flow through the FITV, and do not remove the part of the FITV that has the two hose connections on it, because the gasket is a pain to install.

Quick Reply: 95 Accord need some help