General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Accord - Sometimes won't start - I searched, HELP! : )

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:44 PM
bobbobobbo
Unregistered
Default 95 Accord - Sometimes won't start - I searched, HELP! : )

Alright, I've been going through countless sites and threads trying to pinpoint the problem or where to start. From what I've seen this could be a pretty common problem.

This is our Florida car and I just got here so I haven't fully looked at it yet.

Most the time it is fine, yet sometimes the car will not start, no matter how many times I crank it. If I let it sit for 30 minutes, it will sometimes then start. When its started its fine and never dies as I am driving.

Anyway judging by what I've said above, what is most likely the solution? I've seen countless posts describing a similar situation, yet noone seems to say what ended up being the solution. I'll post below what I think are the culprits.

THANKS!!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:45 PM
bobbobobbo
Unregistered
Default RE: 95 Accord - Sometimes won't start - I searched, HELP! : )

Main relay? Will double check the amount of "clicks" tomorrow.

Coil pack? When its hot it wont start, yet after it cools down its fine. Would match my problems.

Engine temp sensor? Car thinks its colder so its flooding the engine?

Ignition/starter solenoid?

Basic problem? Plugs/wires etc

Anyway I'm very good with vehicles just don't know the honda specifics. I'm really hoping this is extremely common or something.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A no-start condition is always addressed the same way; first determine what is missing; fuel or fire (ignition). Once you've determined which is missing, then other diagnostics come into play.

I like to try throttle body cleaner sprayed into the intake (lift air fiter cover) while turning engine over.

If engine briefly starts, ignition is OK and fuel delivery is the problem; main fuel relay or fuel pump are usual suspects.

If engine does not attempt to start w/ throttle body cleaner, the ignition is missing. Check for 12V to the blk/yel wire at the distributor. If no power, keyswitch assy needs replacement. If you have power, then coil or ignitor is likely. Check FAQ in DIY section for determining coil or ignitor.

good luck

Old 12-25-2008, 04:42 PM
bobbobobbo
Unregistered

Thank you for helping, I've gotten a much better chance to take a look at everything. Last night it started up fine ran fine, today at noon, went to go start her, nothing.

I noticed the fuel pump was definitely not kicking on, there was no click behind the dash. After leaving the doors open for about 10 min, I went again and I heard the fuel pump and clicks and bam she started fine again. So my main guess is that main relay, I'm about 90% certain it must be that. When the car is hot the relay becomes faulty, after it cools down or at nighttime, it seems to be fine. Would everyone agree? I can't think of any other reason.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainr...mainrelay.html

This definitely helped.

So should I replace the entire relay or attempt to resolder?

Old 12-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Agree that main fuel relay is highly likely.

However, there is some possibility of sticking fuel pump. I had this problem and it had same symptoms as main fuel relay. Only way to distinguish was to run a "tell-tale" light to the fuel pump electrical connection and monitor for power. I found power available and pump would not run.

good luck

Old 12-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Hello New member..Thank you for the link ..it seems to have much good ingromation in it...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 AM
bobbobobbo
Unregistered

Well I pulled the relay. It was oddly just hanging there, perhaps the previous owner messed with it.

Anyway, the solder joints don't appear to be bad, yet 2 of them have some very slight brownage on the bottom. I suppose tomorrow I'll resolder every joint and see if that does the job.