General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord temp gauge and radiator fan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 95 accord temp gauge and radiator fan?

I have a 95 Accord ex 4cyl v-tec manual with a/c, and the temp gauge does not move from the cold position and the radiator fans will not come on at all. I replaced Fan switch A and B, replaced ECT sensor, and the other ECT sensor today and the fans still won't work and the temp gauge still wont move.
I tested both the fans by unplugging and hooking some 12v power to them and they work. Tried jumping the Fan swith A and that would not make them work. I am lost here and its driving me nuts. My AC does not blow cold air either, don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Any one have any ideas? This thing is killing me!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Hi New Member...
If you have no or low freon you will not get any cold air out of your system at all.
Get gague set at an AutoZone..rental and have them show you how to use it and then take it out side in the parking lot and hook it up for a test...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

I think that you may be dealing with two problems. The temperature gauge and the fan sensors/circuit.

When you start the car, and it warms up, feel the two radiator hoses. Be careful, because both should be hot and about the same temperature.

The sensor that is under the distributor that only has one wire going to it controls the temperature gauge in your car. If unplug the sensor, and connect the wire leading to it to ground, then turn the key to the II position, what happens? If the needle immediately rises towards H, turn off the key, so the needle on the gauge doesn't get damaged on the peg above H.

Let us know what you find on both of these items.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Make sure you get somone to show you how to use an AC Manifold set. Don't try w/o instruction or you could discharge a fully charged system.

You should start by hooking the low side of gauges only and measuring the system pressure since system is not running. Pressure should be approx. equal to air temperature in degF is engine is cold. If engine is fully warm, the pressure may be somewhat higher, perhaps 120-130 psi. If this level is found, the compressor should at least kick-on briefly.

If system pressure is lower than air temp or zero, then you have a leak and system will not run until leak is repaired and system recharged.

Post your findings for additional help.

good luck

Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I think that you may be dealing with two problems. The temperature gauge and the fan sensors/circuit.

When you start the car, and it warms up, feel the two radiator hoses. Be careful, because both should be hot and about the same temperature.

The sensor that is under the distributor that only has one wire going to it controls the temperature gauge in your car. If unplug the sensor, and connect the wire leading to it to ground, then turn the key to the II position, what happens? If the needle immediately rises towards H, turn off the key, so the needle on the gauge doesn't get damaged on the peg above H.

Let us know what you find on both of these items.
I actually tried that and replaced that sensor anyway. The temp gauge still did not move from the cold position. Im ready to go nuts with this car. The only thing I have not changed is the relays at the fans themselves.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

You want to test that gauge by grounding the wire. Touching that wire to ground should cause the gauge needle to rise towards H. If it doesn't then you will need to pull the gauge cluster and test that wire with a volt meter.

Also, what did you find out with the temperature of the radiator hoses?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You want to test that gauge by grounding the wire. Touching that wire to ground should cause the gauge needle to rise towards H. If it doesn't then you will need to pull the gauge cluster and test that wire with a volt meter.

Also, what did you find out with the temperature of the radiator hoses?
The top hose gets hot and the bottom hose is not as hot. The hoses also look a little ballooned.