General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord Will cold crank, but won’t warm.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:38 PM
Default 95 Accord Will cold crank, but won’t warm.

I have a 95 Accord. It’s a 4 cylinder. For about two years, some mornings my car would crank, sputter, throw check engine light and I could drive it with no issues.
This would normally be days when there was moisture in the air.

Now, it will cold crank as mentioned above, but if I turn it off and try to crank it will only turn over. Normally about 10-15 minutes later it will crank.

The code showed something with the distributor so I replaced it and nothing. Then I replaced the ignition coil and this solved my problem for three months. Now the problem has returned. I figured maybe I got a bad coil, so I replaced it three times but I still have the same problem.

I removed the fuel relay under the dash and soilder it. ( Didn’t really know what I was doing.)

Still no fix.

I’m desperate, broke, and don’t know what to do. I’m a full time college student and need this car to get to class...

Thanks

Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

In my mind, "crank" and "turn over" are the same thing. The starter is spinning the engine. I'm guessing in the 2nd paragraph you mean it'll crank but not fire? After 10-15 minutes it'll fire?

Seeing an error code about the distributor might mean the wiring, especially after a new distributor didn't fix it. The PCU can't tell the difference between a flaky distributor vs. some flaky wiring connection in the car's wiring harness. That's for you to test after seeing the code (before buying $$ parts).

How about the plug wires? Just an idea to check since you said it happens when the weather is wet.

Try starting the cold engine when it's completely dark. Open the hood, have a helper turn the key, while you watch for arcing around the plug wires. If it's damp outside, great. If not, spray some water with a pump spray bottle of some kind. Any sign of arcing indicates the insulation is breaking down.

PS I'm going to move this to General Tech. Seems more suited to that area rather than dismantling the engine...

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-20-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When it's in that "no run" mode (after a warm up) can you hear the fuel pump run? Have you checked for spark? Just asking as this will help narrow things down.