General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 auto trans problem stuck in 3rd code 8

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
wrench
Unregistered
Default 95 auto trans problem stuck in 3rd code 8

Hopefully someone can help me.....

I have a 1995 honda accord 4 cyl. that I recently had to replace the trans do to the case being cracked. Before swapping the trans. it shifted and ran perfect. Now the car is stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. I can manually shift from 1st to 2nd then to drive and it shifts fine. I jumped out the connector under the passenger side glove box and the D light flashed 8 times. TDC sensor. This sensor is located in the distributor. I pulled the plug for the wire going to the distributorand read the resistance of the TDC sensor with my multimeter on 200 ohms and got .37 which I thought was 370 ohms but I may be wrong. If this is in fact 370 ohms the sensor calls for 350-700 ohms so it would be fine.I also checked the wires and they seem to be good.I was wondering if the shift solenoids could be causing this problem. When the trans was swapped none of the sensors or solenoids were exchanged from one trans to the other. I was wondering if this problem is common and what exactly would cause the trans not to shift and give a code 8 TDC sensor after the swap.Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Wrench

Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Default RE: 95 auto trans problem stuck in 3rd code 8

The D light and the CEL are not the same, I do not trust the code 8 from the D light to mean TDC sensor, did you count the CEL at the same time, did it even flash a code at all, one more time please and see what the CEL flashes, there can be a trans code in the ECU.

If the tranny works fine manually like yours is doing then more than likely you have an electrical or computer problem, we can help with a little more info, can you tell us what the shift solinoids are doing when you take off, is each one and which one is energized.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Wait. 8 blinks with the D4 light means "fails to shift - stuck in 1st or 4th gears". 8 blinks with the check engine light would mean TDC sensor.

This is a problem with the shift solenoid A. You can download a 94 manual (almost the same as your 95) from www.hondahookup.com. It has the troubleshooting procedure in there.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

You can download a 94 manual (almost the same as your 95) from www.hondahookup.com.
OR .. You can go to our DIY section top of the page ( Acc 5th gen 94-97 infos and manuals ) ..

Pahonda.. my man ,,why send a member looking for help at another forum when he can find the informations that he needs here ..

Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

DH, I never noticed that you put that link on the top of the DIY section. I guess that I should pay closer attention to the DIY section. Thanks for the reference on the DIY link too.

I usually give them the direct link (www.hondahookup.com/manuals), because I remember the link and don't want to look through my bookmarks for the dhost link. I didn't realize till I went back to the http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/ that the pdf is interactive like the hondahookup.com manual. I'll refer the 5th gen people to out DIY section from now on.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 AM
wrench
Unregistered

Thanks Guys I really appreciate it!! I will check the DIY section tonight. The CEL light does not flash only the D light. Thats sounds right b/c it is stuck in 4th gear. I have a Haynes manual but when it comes to the trans they are very un-informative. I will post an update. Thanks again, Wrench

Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM
lorenzohonda
Unregistered

I have a 1991 Accord EX with the exact same problem I would be very interested in knowing what the resolution is. If I find anything I will let you know.