General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 Brake light always on

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Default '95 Brake light always on

I have a '95 Accord EX auto and the other day I hooked my 3rd brake light up and later on in town I asked someone to see if it even worked still. I had no brake lights at all. I checked the fuse and it was blown so I replaced it and when I put a good fuse in they light up. Thought a sticky brake button on the pedal but before I tear the dash apart to check it is there anything else to check? I have turns and tails but the brake light is stuck in the "on" position.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM

so in other words your break lights are always on? if this is the case there is a little plastic piece that goes between the pedal itself and the arm with the break switch that actually will sometimes shatter. i recently had to replace mine because the break lights were always on. if i am wrong about what your are saying please correct me.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think you have to tear too much apart to see that switch. Have a look at it...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Are you saying the rear brake lights are always on....if so I'd check the "plug" on the brake pedal...happen to see a strange plastic thing in the floor board?

Which light on the dash are you talking about. The Brake light-same as when the e-brake is on or the one on the little car icon?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Yes, your right about what I'm saying. They stay on and when I noticed this is because they weren't on. I guess the current being non stop blew it. After I replaced the blown fuse I noticed then that they're stuck on. I'm about to have a look at the button under the dash.

Now, the cars cutting out, when it's cold it does it bad but when warm it does it a lot still at idle, but while doing 55-60 unless you know what it is you'll think it's running fine but I can still hear it. I hear a broken temp sensor can cause this but it just started and I have 300-400 miles on the broken sensor. After a few weeks I ran the code, until I knew I could shops wanted $30 to run the code. When I get the sensor tomorrow I'll get the button if it's broke.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, if they are on ALL the time. Almost sure the "plug" is broken. You can pull the stoplight fuse from the underhood fuse panel to prevent the battery from going dead until the repair. EDIT: the part number for the "plug"-46505-SA5-000 about $4 at the dealer.

What code or sensor is broken? Sorry a little confused on the second part....to get the codes on a 95, you only need a paperclip. Check the Common DIY Threads at the top of this section for a "how to".

Last edited by poorman212; 09-26-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 PM

Well, the switch at the pedal is at the front of the pedal at the top and it's a tight fit. I unplugged it and the lights go off so I'm guessing the switch is stuck? It must be inside because the button works properly and isn't broken.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

On the "pedal arm" there should be a plastic "plug" that contacts that switch-is it there or is there a "hole" with nothing to close the switch....or another way, plug it back in, push the switch closed and see if the tail lights go off.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 AM

I noticed a broken sensor after running the CEL code. The temp sensor under the distributor on the head was broken off. I have it ordered and it'll be here in a few hours from now. It was $15.49, and I'll get the brake light button too.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds like the ECT, which would cause hard starts. Have to rule that out before getting into other things....

How are the brake lights?

Quick Reply: '95 Brake light always on