General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 EX alternatives to dealer parts/service

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Default '95 EX alternatives to dealer parts/service

Love my Accord, have 80K on it and I'm original owner. I don't mind spending when necessary (just replaced my rear brake pads).

And I also priced a couple things at my dealer which seems crazy-expensive. I know. You get what you pay for, but sometimes, I have felt I've overpaid handsomely at the dealer.

I need to replace my radio antenna mast; and both my oil pan gasket and the distributor o-ring now leak. Not urgent, but I have always taken care of my car. But prices of $175, $300, and $110, respectively----? Wow. Seems way high.

Any thoughts?

PS When I replaced my battery last year and priced them, Honda's was so much more expensive, I went with AAA. Ironically, now the Honda dealer matches that price.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are a few things I buy OEM, and those are mostly things unavailable elsewhere.

I buy used OEM for some things (starter, ac compressor, alternator, ABS modulator, etc) at great discounts. Yes, you sometimes get a dud part (happened once to me) but you can afford this due to deep discount. Check car-part.com a great access website. I like to find a local part and go by to inspect before purchase. I've bought used engines (not for Hondas) this way.

I like Rockauto for online aftermarket parts; good prices and good service.

Ebay is a great source for aftermarket and used parts. All kinds of aftermarket antennas for < $50. I replaced my power antenna w/ a black whip stub antenna. Not too good as an antenna (poor am signal, weak FM signal), but adequate for FM. They have numerous power antenna options, however none will likely last more than 2-3 yrs; too much up/down every time you turn car on/off.

good luck