General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 EX Sounds like a race car when it shouldnt.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Default 95 EX Sounds like a race car when it shouldnt.

I have a 95 EX Automatic that everything has been kept stock. I bought it used about a year ago and have used it as a daily driver. In the past couple weeks a noise started has been getting a lot louder, to the point where at highway speeds I feel like I am shouting to talk to the person next to me. I really can only describe it as the car starts sounding like a tuned up race car, a deep vibrating hum. The noise becomes noticeable around 25 mph and gets steadily louder the faster I go. There is also very minor vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel. I have tried parking the car and revving the engine to just under 4000 rpm and don't hear it. Also if I am on the highway and throw the car in neutral, the sound remains constant with the speed and not the RPM. I have kept up all the routine maintenance, changed the oil every 3000 miles, filters as recommended and tires are less than a year old. I am about to replace the timing belt and water pump as it has over 180,000 and I don't know the last time that was changed. I have also checked the transmission fluid and that looks clean. I am a poor college student so I am trying to avoid taking it to a mechanic and would greatly appreciate any advice on what to look for and check. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

First, welcome to HAF.

Kind of "sounds" like a wheel bearing is/has gone bad

Just know a "sound" description over the internet is a hard thing to figure out. The fact you get the sound when the car is moving - not related to engine RPM or the trans in gear - leads me to this.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Go into an empty parking lot and try turning left and right when you hear the noise. Does the noise change or go away when turning in one direction?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

PA's test is OK, but remember...

If it changes sound when you steer, it's almost certain to be a wheel bearing.

If it DOESN'T change when you steer, then it is still possible to be a bad wheel bearing. I've had one like that and I chased other stuff for a while before I found it actually WAS the bearing.