General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 LX Water Pump...R & R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Default 95 LX Water Pump...R & R?

Remove and Replace difficult? Water pump is seeping. Anyone tackled this problem? I have 150k on the clock, at 100k the DEALERSHIP replaced the cam belt, harmonic balancer belt, seals etc. But not the WP, it is ready to blow up? Just spent mucho $$$

One estimate is $400. The dealer wants $585. I have hand tools and the book. Want to know; if it's a tough job? So I can be prepared.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It is exactly like a timing belt job, exactly; just with the addition of the water pump few bolts. I thought it was standard to replace the water pump(the timing belt drives it) with the timing belts at a dealership at least it was at the one I worked at.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 AM

I am retired, have worked on many cars and bikes in my time. But a little disappointing when you spend money for a big job, and later...you have to fix it twice. You know: FORD: fix or repair daily. Fiat: Fix it again Tony. Guess I'll change my name to Tony.

By the way: the same dealership put in the wrong axle seals (CV joints replaced), and most of all the fluid leaked out, lucky I caught it before it blew up. What kind of idiots do we have working at the (S.F. Bay area) "high end" dealerships?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...?t=3977&page=2

this is for a 92 accords, basically the same,, top dead center timing marks on 94-2002 are on the lower timing belt cover and crank pulley, align the white mark on crank pulley to mark on lower timing belt cover and you are on top dead, . make sure that cam pulley arrow points on up position and it is top dead # 1 ...Hope this helps

I am very surprised that dealer did not replace the water pump,, usually it is sold as a kit, which includes all the belts, seals and water pump,,

Last edited by deserthonda; 05-24-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

According to the shop manual, a new waterpump isn't exactly mandatory when you replace the timing belt. It's just a VERY common thing for the shop to recommend - because it probably won't last until the NEXT timing-belt job.

I did the same thing with my 95 Integra. I changed the belt & I checked out the waterpump. It looked very good, no leaks at all, & the bearings were very smooth. But after another 20k miles it started leaking. I did the timing belt job & made the choice not to replace the pump, so I couldn't blame anyone but myself. When you're paying a shop to do the work, there's a big motivation to avoid doing it twice.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 AM

i agree with Jim,,,,,,,,that is why we do it as a kit,( we advise customer to do at same time but it is still his, her choice ,, 99.9999 % opt to do it at same time ) so customer does not have to pay us money all over again and basically redo the job months later .while apart cost of pump and coolant is around 70-80 dollars ( Honda water pump ) cheaper if you use non-factory .. which i do not recommend

i have seen this several times where people do not replace the water pump and a few months later pump leaks or is noisy ,,,,,,, like they say,,,,pay me a little now or a lot more later

Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM

I wonder if the timing belt was replaced free with the campaign for the balancer seal retainer.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I wonder if the timing belt was replaced free with the campaign for the balancer seal retainer.

Good call kris ,, i did not even think about that one,
, But if that was the case they should at least have given him the option to replace the pump or not while everything was apart

Old 05-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Maybe the mechanic had a fear of water pumps that day. My friend at the Honda dealer will never suggest replacing the cam and crank seal, but I think they don’t stock both at his dealership. The warranty time they get from Honda puts them in a bad mood to begin with on that seal campaign.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks to you Moderators and Senior Members. This web-site has a pleasant tone, unlike some that "flame you", or remind you to do a search.

I know many of us out here are trying to do our own work, and if you haven't done a certain job before it certainly can be intimidating. The photos and write-ups are good. I Like your encouragement. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 95 LX Water Pump...R & R?