General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'96 Accord EX 2.2L 4cyl Automatic, 4dr. [Dunno the trans type]

Old 07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Question '96 Accord EX 2.2L 4cyl Automatic, 4dr. [Dunno the trans type]

I've actually got 2 questions here, alright being I'm still a young kid, don't have a whole lot of money since being laid off and I'm still getting used to an import car bear with me.

1st question is a major one about my transmission. I was driving on the highway the other day when I accelerated from a dead stop my 2nd gear bascially went out, it would accelerate fine from 1st to 3rd but I had to downshift from 4th to third for it to change. I arrived at a friends house to put in some 'interior lighting' and noticed the engine compartment was covered in tranny fluid. I was able to make it home just fine but I was wondering if anyone might know what could've happened to the transmission? I haven't driven it since the other day [and I'm not going to until my mechanic gets back to me], but I'm fearin the worst and that my transmission is totally ***ked.

2nd question has to do with a wiring issue with the headlights.
Simply put I have to put in/and remove the headlight relay for my headlights to go on/off, could there be a wire in between the firewall that somehow melted and is grounding out somewhere?

If you need more info let me know, I'll try to help you as much as you help me. Thanks...

1 more thing, I apologize, if these issues have happened before, I will admit I was too lazy to just search and I hate thread digging.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member!

First thing is where did all the ATF come from? Maybe as simple as the tranny dipstick popped out & the fluid sprayed out from there. In any case, get fluid back in there. Use Honda fluid, people have had troubles with Dexron.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm not sure where it came from but what are the odds the dipstick came out because the initial problem occurred like this:

P
R
N
4D <-
3D

Had it in drive, and it basically over-revved up to 6K RPMs before I let off the gas for it to switch from 1st to 3rd...no that's not a typo, it's skipping 2nd gear.

Now mind you this is coming from a dead stop at a stop light.

Thanks for the welcome BTW

Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 PM

Well I think I might have figured out the problem, after starting it back up today and just sitting there and looking in the engine compartment I found out it was a hose that has a severe hole in it. I bought a new hose and tomorrow I should be able to replace it.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Hose to the tranny cooler (in the radiator)? That would explain lots of problems.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Angry

Yeah, I'm going to just try to keep this thread going because I'm having a ***kin time with this damn car and I'm worried I'm going to need to shell out 3 grand very soon...

So I took the car for a test drive after I replaced the hose today, filled it with trans fluid [synthetic, not dextron] and while I was driving the D4 light started blinking, of course I don't know what the hell that means, but it was a steady blink, not like it was a code. I immediatly brought it back home and haven't driven it yet. I was wondering if anyone knew what the deal could possibly be...

Seriously, this is just not my summer to enjoy my car...

Another note, I researched a little bit and majority say the transmission could be shot...please tell me that is not true....

Old 07-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

The D4 light means the transmission computer detected a problem with the transmission. Your accord should have a two pin service connector under the glovebox that you can short with a thin paper clip.

Follow these instructions, except count the D4 light. Post that code on here, and we will have a better idea of what the problem is.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Alright went ahead and got the code, it came up 8 blinks then stopped & repeated with 8 blinks....so I'm going to assume code 8 [or 80 not sure if it works the same with the check engine]

Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Code 8 is a problem with shift solenoid B.

Check and clean the connection on the outside of the tranny, since you had fluid everywhere. You may also want to remove the solenoid and clean the screen of any debris.

Download the 94 shop manual from the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section to give you more detailed diagnostics for that solenoid.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Alright I'll get workin on that ASAP then, thanks a lot for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '96 Accord EX 2.2L 4cyl Automatic, 4dr. [Dunno the trans type]