General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord ex with cel and abs lights on

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 96 accord ex with cel and abs lights on

just bought my 96 ex about two weeks ago and today i stopped at the store and ran in for a few minutes and when i came out and started the car up my cel and abs lights are now on, what would cause this? the only things that have been done so far is i plugged one of the tires and removed the heat cover over the exhaust manifold. any ideas of the cause of the lights all of a sudden?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Stop by an autoparts store and have them read your codes. The connector is behind the ashtray. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ill have to wait and see if it comes back on, i drove home from the store and it ran fine. when i got home i removed the ground wire from the battery and reset the system, i also removed the ecm fuse for ten seconds and reset that as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

took it by advanced auto and they said its the o2 sensor (bank 2). then on top of that as i pulled up and shut the car off in front of my mother in law's house the speedo and tach dropped to zero and all the lights dimmed down. hooked up some jumpers to her car and everything came back so now i have a bad alternator and got the bottom bolt off and got the belt off but cant get the top bolt out so im stuck in gwinnett away from all my tools and everything. WHAT DO I DO NOW!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible that you have a bad battery. You may want to pull the battery and have it tested at the parts store.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I thought that to so i put in a call to a very good mechanic in my family and he walked me through a couple things and thats how i came up with it being the alt, but now i got a half taken out alt with one bolt holding me up, i got limited tools cause im not at my house and i already broke one 14mm socket trying to get it out. really sucks!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Spray penetrating oil on the bolt. You will either have to use an impact action (using a hammer) on a socket or leverage.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

hopefully tomorrow will have a better outcome

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Almost A Senior Member

well, i went and got a replacement alt this morning as well as some pb b and a 14mm socket that shouldn't break and was able to swap out the alt, so far so good but ill see what happens on the long ride home. i will be putting the heat shield back on as soon as i get home even if there is only one bolt and it makes a terrible rattling noise!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Almost A Senior Member

i was checking around the forum and i know ive seen it before but cant seem to find it now, can anyone tell me where and how to pull codes for the abs light being on?

Quick Reply: 96 accord ex with cel and abs lights on