General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord EX P171

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Default 96 Accord EX P171

My 96 accord ex has 185K miles and recently threw a P171 code and now has intermittent acceleration problems that feel like there is absolutely no power. Pressing the pedal further eventually gets me going again.

I took the car to the dealer and they were 99% sure it was a clogged EGR. I disassembled and all the ports were clear. There was exhaust flowing to the EGR valve and the vacuum on the valve was working fine.

Anyone have a suggestion?

The car also exhibits an issue with running really rough on cold mornings when it first starts. That problem has been around for a while.

Newer plugs, wires, cap rotor
New coil and ignitor
Some newer exhaust parts
new aftermarket cat and rear O2 sensor

The latest issue was not related to any new parts or service. It just started happening.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

OBD2 codes start with the letter P and have 4 numbers. Do you have a P0171 code? Is that the only code you get? I would have the codes scanned a parts store just to make sure you got the right code and all of them.

P0171 is for the fuel system being to lean (too much fuel or too much air). If that is the only code, I would suggest that you have the fuel pressure tested to figure out if you have a clogged fuel filter, bad FPR, etc.

I would also clean the throttle body bore and throttle plate. Clean the screen of the IACV as well.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 AM

you are right. P0171. There was another code for Cat below system efficiency (P0240? maybe) that appears from time to time. I replaced the cat with an aftermarket Bosal unit and now this code appears much less often. I probably have minor exhaust leaks at some of the fittings.

The fuel filter is about 2 years old, so it is probably still in good shape.

I have a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum tester, so I have almost all that I need to check fuel pressure ( a great suggestion ). What I don't have is a fitting to replace the bolt that connects the Banjo fitting to the fuel rail. Any idea where those can be purchased? Chilton suggested building one, but I want to avoid drilling a bolt if at all possible

As far as the idle air control valve is concerned, does anyone know where there is a link with instructions? Is that something that can be cleaned with carb cleaner or just compressed air?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Default Fuel Pressure Shrader Valve

As far as rigging up the service bolt to be able to read fuel pressure, my service bolt on a 96 EX is a capnut. I order a replacement from the local honda dealer ($3) and got a threaded shrader valve from NAPA. It was in their tire section.

Although the capnut is not in yet, it shoudl be a piece of cake to drill out the end and tap it for the shrader valve. Problem solved...