General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord EX starting problem - varying symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Default 96 Accord EX starting problem - varying symptoms

Ok so the vehicle is a 1996 Honda Accord EX Coupe w/ 132k miles.

Occasionally it does not start.

About two weeks ago, after stopping at a car dealership to look at new cars (yeah, eventually) we got back into our Accord and it would not start. Would not crank or anything. No clicks. Waited 5 min still nothing. Finally got it push started and drove home. Did some research and ended up replacing the main relay.

After that no problems for two weeks, until now...

Once again, after driving all day, the car would not start. Only this time, it would indeed crank, just not catch. After letting it sit in garage for a couple hours, it still would not start, only crank.

So after tinkering a little bit I have discovered a few things:

Most of the time when I turn the key to on, I will NOT get a fuel pump priming sound and the check engine light will stay illuminated the whole time. It will then cranking but not start (Main relay symptom)

After clicking the ignition on to off a couple of times but not actually attempting to start it, I then get a fuel pump prime and the check engine light clicks off. Then the car will start. So sometimes it will start after cycling the ignition switch to off and on.
(Ignition switch symptom)

One time, after getting the fuel pump to prime and the check engine light to go off, it started but then died about one second later and I heard a grinding/humming sound from the engine compartment. The grinding sounded more electronic than metal on metal if that makes sense. (Ignition switch symptom/no clue)

There are several potential issues here: Ignition switch, main relay and ECU.

Since I have replaced the main relay already, I am leaning towards the ignition switch.

My question is this, do the above symptoms seem like they could be an ignition switch? Has anyone had similar symptoms that point in so many different directions? The car does not shut off while driving and jigglind the key while on or attempting to start does not cause any problems.

I appreciate the help.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Symptoms do suggest failing/intermittent ignition switch assy. It's an easy replacement. Check DIY forum for procedures and youtube for videos of this job.

good luck