General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 accord 4cyl vtech numerous odd symptoms with sputtering and acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Default 03 accord 4cyl vtech numerous odd symptoms with sputtering and acceleration

just bought 03 accord 4 cyl vtech. all was fine until I got to freeway to get er home and soon as car hit 60 mph around 2500-3000 rpm starts sputtering and decelerates to 40 and won't accelerate passed 45 after that while sputtering. but heres the weird thing to me (maybe not you masters out there) if I put in in neutral (while driving) and shut car off restart then the car accelerates normally again til I hit 60 and same thing. Also I have found that if I keep rpms under 2400 while accelerating it will get passed 60 without issue. Also if I keep it in third gear while accelerating there is no problem. was able to get it to 75 mph. sry dont have specific codes but there where alot 5 or 6 if remember right. but they all (according to autozone) where camshaft or rocker arm related just sensors ya think? Is there any way this is a mechanical problem? It screams sensor/ecu issues from what Ive read so far so I dont think it is but would like to hear it from a master. So where should I start and where do I go next in trying to stop this seemingling domino effect of sensor/code issues? Also some pointers on common problems that are related to my symptoms but that you know is NOT the problem in case a mechanic suggest that IS the problem when getting it fixed. Were no eways in immediate area so only was able to test drive at 55 mph. Yeah not smart I know. thank you for any and all help CODES: p2646 P0341 P0011

topped oil off to ensure this wasnt tripping vtech system only thing tried so far

W/o the codes, we might as well throw darts at the shop manual and see what comes up. Get the codes and post them for help.

good luck

yeah i know a lot of bs that could point many diff directions. I hoped with all the specifics maybe they could be put together. Anyone else that may be able to put my mind at ease a bit by narrowing it down or anyone experiencing similar things in the past and what worked for them would be great. My head is spinning thinking I spent 5500 today on a car that is f'ed up but I dont know how bad.. Unitl then I will get to autozone as soon as I can and make suire I write down specific codes.

codes coming up are p2646 p0341 p0011

autozone guy said it was cam shaft sensors both on exhaust and intake. He seemed pretty sure of himself. think hes right? Will replacing these sensors likely solve all the symptoms ive described?

03 accord ex 4cyl vtech Diag. codes listed are p2646 p0341 p0011

see my other thread for complete list of symptoms:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...eration-55093/

Tried to edit other thread title to reflect that had listed codes as suggested by moderator but it didnt change. Anyways thank you to anybody that can tell me if this is one my cam sensors or both, or timing chain, or niether...

Last edited by TexasHonda; 06-01-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: original thread
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sorry, I tried to move your separate post to original, but merged into a single post. My mistake. Don't start a new thread for same problem in future.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 PM

P 0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor Incorrect Phase Detected.
This problem is usually associated w/ loose timing chain. New chain ($$) is the fix. There is a lengthy diagnostic to confirm other problems or timing chain slack.

P2646 - Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (Vtec Oil Pressure Switch) Circuit Low Voltage.
Another lengthy diagnostic to determine if ECM/PCM or Vtec Oil Pressure Switch circuit is the cause. Most likely the vtec oil pressure switch is faulty, but could be a failed ECM/PCM.

P0011 - VTC System Malfunction (Variable Valve Timing Control System).
Another long diagnostic to determine if low engine oil pressure, blocked VTC strainer, failed VTC oil control solenoid, or wiring fault.

You will need the Honda Shop Manual, some basic wrenching skills, basic electrical skill, and significant time to address all of these by DIY.

If you're paying someone else, this could get expensive.

If you have recourse to return the vehicle to seller for repair or sale cancellation, I would do so immediately. It sounds like they cleared all the codes, sold it to you, and left you holding a damaged car.

good luck

Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM

sorry bout the repeat thread. If timing chain. Do I need just the chain or the whole kit?

Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 AM

There is a diagnostic to remove timing chain cover and check for slack in timing chain. This should be done before starting a repair.

You can purchase a download emanual for $21.99 from automanualsource.com. I have two of his manuals and they are excellent manuals w/ embedded links to jump to relevant pages.

Sorry, no easy answers here. W/o diagnostics you will probably not be able to fix in any reasonable length of time.

good luck

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 AM

ok so after topping oil and driving a bit my car is not showing any of the symptoms I had. So figured id get codes clearded see if they came back up. now it only has one p0341. also before cel came back on there was a noticable difference in acceleration. was this just vtech kicking in now that cel was off? seems the auto tensioner in these motors likes to go bad from what ive read. is this more likely than the chain stretching?

Last edited by Mike1061; 06-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Frankly, we don't see a lot of problems w/ these engines on this forum.

I have read on another forum (Acura TSX type) about problems w/ timing chain slack w/ this code. TSX has very similar engine to Accord.

Again, only way to know is to perform the diagnostics per the shop manual. It could well be a tensioner, however to replace tensioner requires about same effort as timing chain. I would replace both if you must repair.

good luck

Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 PM

I am very surprised that you havent heard about this exact proiblem on this site cause accross the web it is VERY common. Im convinced that it is the tensioner and chain. Dealership says they are going to repair it but I get the feeling once they find out what the real problem is they are going to back out since it was sold as is. now say the chain has excess slack is this better or worse than slipping a tooth? Also in this given these mechanical issues is the risk of futher damage pretty high, I mean should I not drive it at all, or is this something that long as I am sure the oil is good so the chain wont stretch further wont get any worse?

Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 PM

I've not heard of engine failing due to excess chain slack, but again I haven't seen many cases of this posted. It probably has happened. I would definitely avoid high rpms.

I think by federal law you have 3 business days to reverse a transaction. Also, this did not just "happen". It was a pre-existing condition that was masked by resetting the ECU. If you have to threaten to get lawyer and take to small claims court.

good luck

Old 06-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Here are the threads where P0341 was part of thread. Some interesting reading. I did not read all of them.

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums - Search Results

good luck