General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Honda Accord 4cyl VTech Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Default 99 Honda Accord 4cyl VTech Engine problem

I opened my hood to check my oil the other day and noticed that my antifreeze overflow tank was overflowing with oil. Upon further inspection the oil dipstick had no oil on it and the antifreeze was mixed with oil. There were no indications of a problem from driving the car. I was routinely checking the oil. So it must have just happened. The car is a 1999 honda accord 4cyl vtech 2.3L automatic. After reading online it seems to be a common problem for the 99-01 honda engine. I am trying to decide my next step. I have heard different things from different people. Some said to replace the head, some said the head gasket, and some said replace the engine. Money is kinda tight so I don't want to pay a couple hundred bucks for someone to tell me what "exactly" is wrong with it. I do pretty much all of my own maintanance, but I have never replaced an engine. I have found a couple of used engines decently close by that range from about $450 to $650. I have access to a cherry picker, but not a lift. So if the engine has to be dropped out I can't do it, but if it can be lifted out I can. Just wondering in the vast experience of the forum users what is the best thing to do. Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM

A cherry picker would work just fine to lift the engine out, but....before you jump to the wrong answer I would suggest a leak down test. It can point you to the problem which I would think you will find is a head gasket. Pulling the head off is not that bad of a job on the 4 cylinder. Get a gasket kit, take the head to the shop to have it plained (sp) and gone over. Then ask yourself when the time belt was last changed since you are getting in to that area anyway by taking off the head. This actually is pricey even if you do it yourself, but when I consider the risk of sticking in a used engine I have worries about the timing belt and other considerations like the water pump etc. A lot of work replacing and then to have to do the belt as well, although replacing it out of the engine well would be a dream. Let us know what you find and decide.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Good advice from Bruce. I also recommend fixing your engine unless it was burning oil, low compression, or other damage.

good luck