General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 honda accord Lx vtech 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Default 98 honda accord Lx vtech 4cyl

i have accord sedan 98. Each time i press on the brakes on the highway i always hear a brushing sound coming from the right hand side of the tyres. What might be the likely cause of the sound? Any useful advice from anybody in the forum i will be glad to receive them. Thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Brakes operate smoothly? Do they pull towards one side or the other?

I'd take off the wheel and have a good look at the brakes. Are the brake pads wearing thin?

If the brake disk has some rust, that'll just wear off with normal use.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM

thanks for replying, the brakes operate smoothly when i press on it, they don't pull towards one side or the other. When i notice it initially i have to change the brake pads but the sound still remains. Although my mechanic told me my axle is getting rust i should changing it. Each time i turn the steering at a bend i use to hear croacking sound, i was thinking maybe the shaft on the right hand side is going bad. Are all these connected? Hoping to hear from you

Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Did you resurface the rotors when you changed the brake pads? Either way, the new pads can make some light brushing sound as they wear to match the rotors.

I don't think rust on the axles would cause the sound, but maybe you should replace them if the rust is getting bad. How deep through the thickness of the axle does the rust penetrate?

Croaking sound while turning the wheel sounds like a balljoint going bad, or maybe the steering rack. Still, thats a different problem than the brushing sound when braking.

I can't actually hear it from here, but I'm tempted to say it's OK. If the brakes work smoothly, and the pads are not worn down, then just pay attention for it getting worse.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 PM

thanks for replying, I wil ask the mechanic about resurfacing of the rotors, checking of the balljoints and steering rack if all is normal. My wife is using honda accord 90. Each time we drives into pot-holes( Nigerian roads) the car always sways to the right hand side at above 60km/hr when driving. Is the shock absorber behind going bad or do we have to do wheel balancing or alignment? Your advice will be welcome. Thanks

Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Could be shocks, I would ask the mechanic to check them out. I can only suggest things for you (or your mechanic) to check, since I can't see the car from here.

Alignment might be needed, but I don't think that would cause the sound. It would cause the car to pull to one side.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM

thanks so much i will ask the mechanic to check them out and give you reply in the future. My full name is DR.RIDLEY ORHE(OPTOMETRIST)