General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord EX V6 2.7L - No spark from coil

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Default 96 Accord EX V6 2.7L - No spark from coil

Okay, I'm stumped. I troubleshot the ICU inside the distributor and it was performing properly so I replaced the coil, but I still have no spark coming from the coil. Here's a list of the status questions I've seen posted elsewhere so no one repeats telling me to check them.

1. The engine cranks.
2. My rotor spins.
3. My battery is well charged.
4. The alternator is new.
5. The ICU is getting/sending 12V through the green and yellow wires.
6. The ICU sends an alternating signal through the yellow/black(brown?) wire.
7. I have fuel, even starting fluid wouldn't work.

Why would I not have spark, even with a new coil? I'm going to go home after work, test the connectivity between some of the wires in the plugs that connect to the distributor and the coil and see what I find and post some pics. But any neato sneaky tricks you guys might have in the mean time would be awesome.

Thanks!
Justin

Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Couple more basic questions, just to rule them out...

- Any recent work on the car? (just in case that points to anything you can double-check)

- Plug wires have the proper firing order at the distributor?

- How old are the spark plugs? Check spark by taking one out & grounding it?
I once fouled a set of plugs with fuel, while dealing with a flooding problem. When that was fixed, I didn't put in new plugs because they looked perfectly OK (well, I was too stubborn to throw away a set that looked good).

- You say "no spark coming from the coil"... Does that mean you put a plug-wire directly into the coil to check for that? If so, then never mind the question about firing order.

- Plug wires can fail 2 completely different ways; either they fail to conduct, or the insulation breaks down & they short out through the insulation.
Check for the 2nd case by watching them in complete darkness. Works best with the engine completely cold (4am?). Open the hood, turn off all the lights. Try to start the engine while someone watches. Do the plug wires flash, spark, or glow? Any of that means the spark is leaking out from failed insulation.