General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord - keeps stalling, why??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Default 96 accord - keeps stalling, why??

Ok so heres the background info... its a 1996 accord LX.. so initially i noticed that the throttle position sensor was completely cracked on my throttle body. I thought that this was the problem for the crazy eratic idle, the fact my speedo didnt work, and why it was stalling... so i just recently got a used throttle body off a great website i was shown on here car-part.com... super cheap website... but anyways i just installed that new throttle body yesterday... and i had a CEL, i changed the throttle body an this 'new' one had everything in working order all the parts were intact.. so i pulled the back up radio fuse, reset my ecu, and no CEL! awesome. so im sitting there letting it idle... i havnt hit the gas yet just giving the ecu some time... ok bout 5 minutes go by, and i just step on the throttle an give it a lil gas just see what happens... (now i still havnt driven it so im not positive if the speedo is still messed up or not but it was just holdin itself up at 20mph so im pretty sure the speedo still isnt working) but i gave it gas and it just stalled right out. this car will not hold an idle. so i just left it alone for the night and when back out now and started it, an it was idling fine so i just let it sit there running for like 10 min without touching anything and let it warm up completely... nothing wrong... but then i gave it some gas an once i let off the gas it just went straight down and stalled out.. sometimes itll try to save it self and the lights will dim and the dash will dim... im thinking alternator?? what could possibly be doing this? and also what about the speedo what could i do about that? mostly i guess any info on getting this car to idle properly would be my main concern right now... thanks for any info or suggestions... if it were to be the alternator how hard would that actually be to change.. i mean im pretty unexperienced but i changed the throttle body and dealt with the throttle linkage and stuff so im kind of inclined to mechanical things just kinda worried bout dealin with the belt and stuff. well thanks again.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Check for engine codes again.

When you start the car and let it idle, what rpm will the engine idle at?

The speedometer stuck at 20mph is a common problem with the speedometer. If the VSS was bad, then the CEL code would come up with the VSS code 17.