General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord LX (F22B2) - Seals Replacement with Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 96 Accord LX (F22B2) - Seals Replacement with Timing Belt

I'll soon be doing a timing belt service. Which seals do I need to replace? I seem to have gleaned from the posts here that the camshaft, front crankshaft, and balancer shaft seals should be replaced. Are there any other seals that should be added to this list? I see oil leaking out from the base of the lower timing belt cover.

Is it a lot of additional work to replace these seals? I did not replace any of these when I last did this work at 85k miles. Any tips (or write-ups) to help things along? I haven't found anything specific through searching.

Thanks
Kofi

Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM

I had been a mechanic. If you ask me any seal replacement is difficult to do right. There are some special tools, puller and "seal installation tool". Maybe Honda (dealer) has some tricks, but I too would like to know the best way. I would like to see the Cam Belt/Water pump Write-up. IF you find it, post it here. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

besides, cam, crank, frt balance shaft, also replace the rear balancer shaft seal ( some parts store call it oil pump seal ) remove 1, 12 mm nut and 2 , 12 mm bolts, pay attention to the position of the gear,,,,,,,Also make sure to install a frt balancer shaft seal reatainer

Old 05-24-2010, 09:09 PM

The front balancer seal is close to the frame and is a little hard to get in straight. I made a tool out of some pvc fitting from Home depot. It is a cap that slips over the balancer shaft with a hole cut to draw it on with bolt to the shaft. The dealership guy said he just uses his thumbs to install the seal.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by deserthonda
besides, cam, crank, frt balance shaft, also replace the rear balancer shaft seal ( some parts store call it oil pump seal ) remove 1, 12 mm nut and 2 , 12 mm bolts, pay attention to the position of the gear,,,,,,,Also make sure to install a frt balancer shaft seal reatainer
So there are a total of four seals to replace? Are these all relatively easy to do once I'm in there? Do I need any special tools to R&R the other three?

Thanks
Kofi

Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
The front balancer seal is close to the frame and is a little hard to get in straight. I made a tool out of some pvc fitting from Home depot. It is a cap that slips over the balancer shaft with a hole cut to draw it on with bolt to the shaft. The dealership guy said he just uses his thumbs to install the seal.
Kris,

Could you try to describe your tool with a bit more detail? Do you remember what size PVC fitting? Is this the most difficult seal to R&R?

Thanks
Kofi

Old 05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by partialresponse
I'll soon be doing a timing belt service. Which seals do I need to replace? I seem to have gleaned from the posts here that the camshaft, front crankshaft, and balancer shaft seals should be replaced. Are there any other seals that should be added to this list? I see oil leaking out from the base of the lower timing belt cover.

Is it a lot of additional work to replace these seals? I did not replace any of these when I last did this work at 85k miles. Any tips (or write-ups) to help things along? I haven't found anything specific through searching.

Thanks
Kofi
Are the two balancer shaft seals numbers 25 and 26 on this drawing? The parts diagram refers to them as

25. OIL SEAL (40X52X7) (ARAI) (part. # 91212-P0A-004)
26. OIL SEAL (27X40X8) (NOK) (part. # 91233-PT0-003)

Thanks
Kofi

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX (F22B2) - Seals Replacement with Timing Belt-oil-pump-oil-strainer-461733.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM

# 25 crank seal
# 26 frt balancer shaft seal
# 5 is the other seal you need to replace

frt balancer shaft seal , if you got strong thumbs you can use them to install seal,,make sure to grease the inside part of any seals

crank seal, once you start it evenly, use the old seal to hammer it in

Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by deserthonda
# 25 crank seal
# 26 frt balancer shaft seal
# 5 is the other seal you need to replace

frt balancer shaft seal , if you got strong thumbs you can use them to install seal,,make sure to grease the inside part of any seals

crank seal, once you start it evenly, use the old seal to hammer it in
Thanks for clarifying!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Default Seal Installation

When installing these seals, can they be installed too far? I tapped mine in until they stopped which is farther in then the ones that I pulled out. Just wondering if that's an issue or not? Seems the only way to get them in perfectly straight is to push them all the way in.

Also, the old water pump was leaking quite a bit causing sort of a mess down around the oil pump. Very difficult to tell if the oil pump shaft seal is leaking behind the pulley or not. This oil pump lists for like $295 and hoping not to have to replace it. Any experience with shaft leaks on these pumps? The dealer I called for pricing said it's common for them to leak but my last Accord had 300k miles without ever changing this thing.

Thanks

Last edited by tashier; 10-18-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 Accord LX (F22B2) - Seals Replacement with Timing Belt