General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 Accord LX Gauges issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '96 Accord LX Gauges issues among other things

Hello!

So, here's what I have. the gauge cluster was not working what-so-ever. Like, the lights came on, and I could see the gauges at night, but nothing worked except turn signals and the battery light. The windows didn't roll down either.

So I replaced the #1 fuse, and that took care of a number of issues. Most of the gauges now appear to work. Like, the tach and everything else, windows work. but the speedometer doesn't work, nor does the clock.

Just hoping somebody can point me in the right direction here.

thanks.

Last edited by Sparx Macgyver; 04-27-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Does the cruise control work?
What caused the #1-10amp underdash fuse to blow?
I find it strange that the turn signals worked with a bad #1 fuse

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't know what caused it to blow. I know there is some wiring under the hood. It runs from the battery to a switch on the interior. There are a few things that upon buying inspection, weren't seen. The switch was told to be to like an amp, but I can no longer get a hold of the P.O. He isn't answering my calls or returning them.

I'll take some pics later this morning and upload them to show you.

Here's an update of what's going on with it:

~Speedometer doesn't work for diddly.
~Clock is non-existent.
~Gauges "pulsates" when on, and especially with a turn signal on.
~Temp gauge doesn't appear to work. Car can be hissing and sputtering when you turn it off, but the gauge shows less than half. like it only goes up 1/4 of the gauge. Thinking possible bad thermostat..
~Rpm's are doing an unusual motion. When driving, if I let go of the gas and just coast, it revs a sec, and then drops. Just does this repeatedly unless I either step on the brakes or gas again.

Last edited by Sparx Macgyver; 04-27-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Pulsating gauges with the turn signal sounds like it could be an open ground.

Temperature stuff sounds like a problem with the temperature sender or the temperature gauge - rather than the thermostat. But if the T-stat is old that wouldn't hurt either.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Some of the wiring I was talking about.

In order from left to right:

1-2) the wiring form the battery to the alternator?
3) the evil switch which will blow fuse #1 if you flip it. Believed to be where the red wiring goes to.
4-5) black box. It's some sort of sound/vibration detector. Dunno what it's for. Also, in #5, you can see the silver switch I mentioned before. I don't know what that for.

Attached Thumbnails '96 Accord LX Gauges issues-wireing.jpg   '96 Accord LX Gauges issues-wireing-1-.jpg   '96 Accord LX Gauges issues-wireing-2-.jpg   '96 Accord LX Gauges issues-wireing-3-.jpg   '96 Accord LX Gauges issues-wireing-4-.jpg  

Last edited by Sparx Macgyver; 04-27-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

And the last pic of the switches.

This one just shows the button that starts the car. It starts with the key, or you can push this thing and it tries to turn over.

Attached Thumbnails '96 Accord LX Gauges issues-wireing-5-.jpg  

Last edited by Sparx Macgyver; 04-27-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry, realized I hadn't answered your question. No, the cruise control does not work.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

I googled that part number on the shock sensor. It seems that it is part of an aftermarket alarm system. I'm guessing that it would sound an alarm if someone bumps into your car.

The toggle switches probably turn off the components of the alarm. If it was my car I would try to find all of the alarm stuff and remove it. Look under the dash for wires spliced in to the main wire harness. See if there is an alarm unit in there. Also try tracing the wire coming from the battery too.

Are you sure that picture #2 is the alternator? It looks like it could be the starter, but the zoom is too close for me to be sure. The starter would make more sense, because a security system could prevent the car from starting. Your alternator is in the lower right corner of picture #1.

Last edited by PAhonda; 04-28-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

PAhonda,

No, I have no idea if it's the starter or alternator. I was guesstimating from what I can tell. I will take a few more pics tomorrow, and see if I can get better angles for you guys.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It's been awhile, and I apologize for it. Work has kept me busy. I haven't taken those pics, and I'm not going to right now. As of tonight, the engine has blown. It has a pretty serious knocking sound, so I'm thinking it would probobly be cheaper ot buy a used engine from like http://www.asapmotors.com/ .

Anybody have any recommendations? I was also thinking of swapping to a manual at the same time if I go with them...