General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord LX Installing Driver Glass Window

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Default 96 Accord LX Installing Driver Glass Window

Hello everyone,

The motor died for my driver side glass window on my 96 Accord LX so the window would not come up after I had brought it down all the way. I tried physically grabbing it and pulling it up with strength and then it shattered on me.

I just got a new glass window for the driver side but I am having trouble installing it. I took off the door panel and it's impossible to access the bolts where the window should connect. I tried searching for video tutorials but couldn't find anything.

Is there a special way to install the glass window? Would I be able to disconnect or cut a wire that would allow me to pull up the thing where the window connects so I could have better access?

Thank you.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

The common diy thread in the gen tech help section has a link to the online shop manual thread. Open the hondatech link to get a 94 shop manual as a free pdf and that should help you out.

Were you able to remove all of the old glass?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

To access the glass mounting bolts, take off the regulator mounting bolts first.

Then move the regulator to be able to remove the two glass mounting bolts. You may need someone else to help hold the regulator while you loosen the glass mount bolts.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The common diy thread in the gen tech help section has a link to the online shop manual thread. Open the hondatech link to get a 94 shop manual as a free pdf and that should help you out.

Were you able to remove all of the old glass?
Downloaded multiple manuals but they didn't really help. Yeah, the glass completely shattered into tiny bits.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
To access the glass mounting bolts, take off the regulator mounting bolts first.

Then move the regulator to be able to remove the two glass mounting bolts. You may need someone else to help hold the regulator while you loosen the glass mount bolts.
Here's a photo from the inside of the door with the panel off. The regulator is the section that has the three bolts in the form of a triangle towards the center right? I don't see how removing those bolts would give me access to the glass mount bolts which are hidden from the inside a bit lower.

Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX Installing Driver Glass Window-20151029_175716.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Neptun3
Here's a photo from the inside of the door with the panel off. The regulator is the section that has the three bolts in the form of a triangle towards the center right? I don't see how removing those bolts would give me access to the glass mount bolts which are hidden from the inside a bit lower.

Thanks guys.
The regulator mounting bolts are where the red circles are, and the regulator motor is where the blue circle are, You would remove all these bolts, then move the regulator till the glass mounting bolts are accessible through the two access holes or some other location.

I do this with Hondas and other makes of cars when the window can't move.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX Installing Driver Glass Window-door.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The green circles in this photo show the access holes where the pair of bolts is that mounts the window to the regulator.

Normally when you remove the window, you raise or lower the window so that the bottom edge of the window is at the height of one of these two pairs of holes. The top holes are when the window is fully shut ... the bottom holes are when the window is down far enough to lift it out of the door at an angle.

Your window is probably further down, and since your regulator is broken, you'll just have to reach inside the door skin, find those two bolts, and remove them.

The bolts should be 10mm. I think you can just remove them with a box wrench. Once they break loose you can more-or-less unscrew them with your fingers.

Once the window mounting bracket is out, remove or loosen the bolts as specified by redbull. I also suggest you remove the the black control box to the right of the motor (held on by two screws) -- it will give you easy access to reach in to handle the motor. The regulator and motor will both come out the big hole in the bottom rear of the door panel.

-- John

PS: I notice you have some Dynamat behind the control box, so you will have to remove that to get access to the motor.
I also noticed that you did not dynamat the inside of the outer door skin. Do your speakers sound very good as-is? I have Polk DB6501 in the front doors, Dynamatted the entire exterior door skin and tubular braces, and it sounds pretty good. I did not attempt to seal up the inside door skin at all.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX Installing Driver Glass Window-door.jpg  

Last edited by jkowtko; 11-02-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the help guys it's very appreciated. I will get started on it tonight and let you know how it goes.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When you remove the regulator, take time to remove glass shards from inside the door. There will be many. A shop vac is handy to suck them off the bottom. There are grooves where pieces will hide and require vacuum to remove.

good luck