General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord oil leak after head gasket replaced

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
cjkone978
Unregistered
Default 96 accord oil leak after head gasket replaced

i recently had my head gasket replaced about a month ago.. i have not been driving the car that hard at all, but i have been on the highway a lot.. i noticed that my oil light came on, and i checked my oil, and there was nothing..barely even a drip on the dipstick.. i immediately put oil into the car.. after a couple days, i dont have any oil leaks or drips in my driveway, and the car is notburning oil because there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust.. what could be the problem? please help me.. i am L-O-S-T!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 accord oil leak after head gasket replaced

Look for oil in the antifreeze -brownslimy crud under the radiator cap.

Did you check the oil level right after the head gasket job? Maybe it wasn't filled all the way at that time?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
cjkone978
Unregistered

theres nothing under the radiator cap.. just a little dirty.. probably just needs to be flushed.. i know i changed the oil right after the head job, so the oil level had to be fine.. i jacked the car up on stands.. its not coming from the oil filter, pan, or pan gasket either.. its coming from the back of the engine, and its leaking down, but i cant see where its coming from.. looks like maybe under the intake manifold or something in that area.. i have no clue.. now that i dumped oil in it and ran it around for a while, i can see drops under the car.. its not a puddle or anything, but its noticeable.. its dripping down the steering rack onto the ground.. i thought it might have been the filter or pan gasket, but both seem to be fine.. nothing loose or anything.. thanks for your reply eariler.. i really appreciate you trying to help..

Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Check the...

Valve cover gasketor maybeoilsending unit?. I think its on the back of the block, not sure of exact location.

I can't see you losing that much oil out the valve cover so that makes me think it may be the sending unit.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 PM
cjkone978
Unregistered

im pretty sureall of the gaskets were replaced when the head job was done (e.g. valve cover, head, intake, exhaust, egr valve, etc.)even the o-rings.. is replacing the oil sending unit timeconsuming and or costly?is it a pain to get to?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

It's a pain to get to. Screwed into the block above the oil filter. Reach it from underneath. Support the car properly so it doesn't fall on you.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

I donl't know if is a pain to get to. I took of my oil filter and had pretty easy access to it. I would say that pulling the connector off was a bit frustrating. A shop shouldn't charge you more than a half hours worth of labor to do it.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:42 AM

Sounds like the camshaft seal. If you had a shop do the work you need to get the car back to them ASAP and have them fix it.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

I think the camshaft seal would leak down the front, inside the timing covers. Then it would become visible when it comes out at the very bottom of the timing cover underneath the front pulley. From there, it might follow the oilpan gasket around to the back.

If you clean things up real good, maybe you can tell for sure where it's coming from.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I think the camshaft seal would leak down the front, inside the timing covers. Then it would become visible when it comes out at the very bottom of the timing cover underneath the front pulley. From there, it might follow the oilpan gasket around to the back.

If you clean things up real good, maybe you can tell for sure where it's coming from.
if cam seal leaks,, it would see oil at driver's side back of the head, below valve cover, on top of water pump area, there is a shield that if cam seal leaks, keeps the oil from getting to the t-belt ,,( unless the shield has been removed ) oil will not get to the bottom timing belt cover and come out from there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 accord oil leak after head gasket replaced